The Year of the Paper Mache Dragon

Hello all.
Well I'm a little late, but I think it's time to celebrate the year of the paper mache dragon.   I asked Eddie what I should make.   He thought about it for a while.  You can see him thinking.  What he told me was that he wanted food.   I explained to him that I already gave him some food and just because he didn't like it I wasn't about to open a second can.  At least not for an hour or so.   He got a bit annoyed.    Anyway, he decided I should make a dragon for the Year of the Dragon.  Great idea Eddie!

So here is Eddie with the first set of paper mache pieces.

Starting on the left I have two parts for the body, a tail, a neck and two legs.

I cut a hole in the largest of the paper mache balls and inserted the tail.

I put the pieces together with masking tape.   More to come soon.  Thanks for stopping by.

P.S.  For what it's worth, I'm editing a video showing the making of the Dark Butterfly I just finished.  Should be done in a couple of weeks.  Also, for anyone who liked my Paper Mache Dragon Marionette video...I'm finally going to make another video like that one, only on steroids.   I won't say what music I'm using yet, but I will say that it took me two years to secure the rights.  Now that I have the rights to the music I can start.  Trust me, this video is going to be a riot.  I'll tell you more as it becomes more real.

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 4/11/2012 11:55 PM Willow wrote:
    Eddie looks like he's plotting some serious revenge. I'd be checking my shoes before sticking my feet in them if I were you.
    Can't wait for the 'roid-raging new vid. I always love your videos. They're so much fun!
    1. 4/12/2012 8:31 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Willow.
      You are too funny!  That is actually how Eddie looks when I don't attend to his needs.   He can be so pissy at times.  I hope this video I'm planning isn't just a weird pipe dream.   I won't know until it's done I guess.
      Talk to you soon.  Hope you are finding time to do some art.  I know you are really busy lately.
      See you

• 4/12/2012 6:31 AM Roz wrote:
    Wooo! I am so excited! It is great to see the first creation of spring get started. I am very interested to watch this one come together. This is a great inspiration. I will have to get started on my own dragon soon. I eagerly await your next post Dan.

2 years? I am eager to see that video.
    1. 4/12/2012 8:34 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Roz,
      Thank you for stopping by.  I've had a lot going on behind the scenes.    I got obsessed with this piece of music.  Every time I heard it I envisioned the video I want to make.  I can see it in my mind's eye.  Usually I use royalty free music for my videos.  This is the first time I just had to use a real piece of music from a real band.   I am very happy to finally get to start.
      Talk to you later. Hope all is well with you.

• 4/13/2012 7:49 AM Monique wrote:
    I love Eddie's expresssion!
    1. 4/13/2012 10:13 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi there Monique.   It's always nice to hear from you.   Yes, in fact, the expression you see on Eddie's face will undoubtedly be the expression you'll see on the dragon's face.
      Hope you are having fun making your art.

• 4/18/2012 7:48 AM Kim wrote:
    Hi Dan...I ordered your newest book and just watched your videos...I'm so excited to get started with my project and is it ever a big project...we are celebrating our 40th high school reunion this year and entering a float in the parade...my project is to make a leaping 6 foot tiger (our school mascot)...any information and ideas you can give me would be greatly appreciated...Wish me luck...Kim
    1. 4/18/2012 9:57 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Kim,
      It's nice to meet you.  Yes, you have definitely got a fun and challenging project to do.  I think you should look at the book first, and then any advice I give will make more sense.   At this point I'd end up describing a lot of what is already in the book.   Take a look a the book then email me at dan@gourmetpapermache.com and we'll put our heads together.

• 4/18/2012 7:57 AM Kim wrote:
    Hi Dan...I guess my main concern is getting the stability for the tiger using only metal coat hangers...any suggestions? His rear feet will be on the hood of a truck with his body laying up the windshield and the rest of his body on the roof of the truck...Thanks...Kim
    1. 4/18/2012 9:59 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi again Kim,
      The fact that it's anchored on the hood and will be laying on a car makes it easy.   Clothes hangers and the methods I show in the book will definitely be strong enough for what you are doing.    Again, let's talk more.

• 4/26/2012 5:46 PM Tracy wrote:
    I want to buy the dark butterfly. Is that possible? =)
    1. 4/28/2012 6:31 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Gulp!  Hi Tracy.   I just don't know about the butterfly.   She was one of the few projects I made for myself in the last couple of years.   Maybe at some point I can sell her.  I'm very flattered that you would inquire.  If you are serious about knowing if she is for sale at some point, send me an email, dan@gourmetpapermache.com.
      Take care

• 4/27/2012 11:52 PM Eric wrote:
    Hi Dan,

searching for background, I stumbled upon your beautifull work. The looks and expression of your work really gets to me.
    In my work as teacher i introduced you with your video's
    My students are all autistic and the speed, or lack of it, in your instructional video's are just right to explain and work along during the proces.
    I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your marvel and it's effect on my students.
    Love to see more... Of course we bought your book.
    GR Eric
    1. 4/27/2012 11:54 PM Eric wrote:
      Forgot to say, i Live in the Netherlands..
      1. 4/28/2012 6:28 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
        That's even more cool!  Maybe you aren't on the verge of summer vacation.   Good luck on whatever part of your school year you are in.

1. 4/28/2012 12:35 PM Eric wrote:
          Hi Dan,

Thxx for your swift reply. Summer vacation, ah... That means sun and high temparatures, from which we have non at the moment. But still 11 weeks to go. Enough time for some beautifull projects.
          Glad to inspire you to do the vids. Personally i think they are great... Including the humour part in it.

My kids need the concrete visualisation of what they have to make. Most o0f the time i make the diffrent steps, but now they can work at their own pace.
          I want to put on a picture but i ma not sure how to..

thxx in advance,
          Eric
          1. 4/28/2012 8:03 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
            Hi again Eric,
            I'm happy to help.  11 weeks isn't too long.   I'd love to post photos on my site of your kids making monsters.   Just send them to dan@gourmetpapermache.com.
            Take care

2. 4/28/2012 6:26 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Eric,
      It's very nice to meet you.  Thank you for the very flattering remarks.  It means a lot to me.   I'm especially happy that your students enjoy the work.     I really have to make the next couple instructional videos.   There is a long, complicated, and boring reason why they stop where they do.     Maybe this summer (I'm a teacher too...5 weeks of kids left for me, then art!) I'll finish the series off.  Your comment about the kids liking the instructional videos really inspires me to finish.  Thank you for that.
      Good luck on the rest of your year.  And than you again for taking the time to write.

• 4/28/2012 11:37 AM nikki wrote:
    hello my name is Nikki i found out about you paper mache sculptures on you tube while looking up dragons! (dragons are awsome!!!!) i watched some of your videos and was instantly inspired to make one! but i have a small problem i can't figure out what you used to dip your special fabric mache in? can you tell me? thank you so much! (ps: your cat eddie is adorable!!)
    1. 4/28/2012 8:00 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Nikki,
      Nice to meet you.   Thank you for your kind words.  I dip my cloth (old bed sheets, nothing special) into white glue (Elmer's or PVA wood glue).
      Hope this helps.
      PS.  Eddie says "thanks!"

• 5/3/2012 8:57 PM Pat wrote:
    Enjoy your blog tremendously. That picture of Eddie looks like he is NOT amused. Did you forget to clean his litter box?
    1. 5/3/2012 9:34 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Pat,
      Thanks for stopping by.  Eddie has many moods.   He is the most temperamental cat I've ever had.  He probably wants me to stop everything and chase him around.  He does that a lot.
      Take care.  Thank you for the kind words.