Commission: Paper Mache "Maleficent" Dragon Trophy

NOTE:  I have to amend this post because of the unbelievable interest it has generated.  It seems to have spread far and wide through Facebook and other websites.  I'm just blown away by the response.  Thank you to everyone who has left a post.    I have had a dozen or more serious requests to purchase this dragon or another just like it along with many inquiries about the price.  So I just have to say that this is a unique piece.  Any time I make a commission I guarantee that it will be unique, that I won't make a duplicate for someone else.  Don't get me wrong, because of this response, I have several ideas of other strong lined, horned dragons with or without the lighted effects.  They won't be Maleficent, but they might possibly be better.  Maybe I'll make a couple and post them to see what you think.   For what it's worth, I sold this piece for $2000 plus shipping.    These projects are very labor intensive.  I spend a lot of time and effort on each one.  I can only make a few commissions a year because of that.   And I have my own projects to attend to.    I can hardly wait to show you what I have going on now (besides the dragon being built on my blog currently).   Anyway, thank you to everyone who expressed an interest in this dragon.
PS.  And don't forget that you can make a dragon trophy too!  I have always been about showing people how to do these techniques.  It's just a matter of how badly you want something, right?  Watch my videos, follow this blog, and/or buy my books  and give it shot!  Thousands of people have already.
PSS.  If you got here from one of the other blogs that picked up Maleficent, check out some of my other dragons and projects like my Dark Butterfly.    Thanks for stopping by!

Hi everyone,
I mentioned in my last post that I've been working on a commission.  That's partly why it's been taking me so long between posts on my other paper mache dragon project.   Several of you have asked that I show my commissions before I ship them.   So I'll do that here.

First, some background.   I was asked by a man who lives in France to make a dragon trophy of "Maleficent", the dragon from Disney's "Sleeping Beauty".   The first photos below are what I was supposed to use as a guide.  He wanted a trophy that was as close a rendition of the cartoon as possible, including the lights.   You would think that the simple lines would make this an easy task.  But it wasn't easy at all.  It was quite a challenge, which I relished.   I wanted to make the dragon that the cartoon would be based upon.  But I couldn't improvise very much without straying too far from the original drawings.   And the lights were even a bigger challenge.    Obviously I couldn't get lights that would blast out of the mouth, eyes, and nose exactly like the cartoon.   And the dragon had to look decent when the lights were turned off.

I ended up using a dillion, well a half a dillion little, green l.e.d. lights.   There is a place to put AA batteries in the back of the trophy when it's off the wall.   The lights are controlled by 4 small switches behind the ears.    I think they worked very well, don't you think?

Here she is!

From the side.

Here she is without the lights on.

I'm very proud of these eyes.  I used glass, taxidermy elephant eyes.  I used a grinder to grind off almost all of the paint.  I just fashioned a couple of slits for dragon pupils.  That made them kind of frosted so you can't see the l.e.d. lights behind them when the lights are off.  And they look fine in contrast with the black and blue colors of the dragon.     When the lights are on you just see the green lights and the pupils.

This is me and the dragon. (I'm the one on the right.)  Just wanted to give you a sense of scale.  This is as big as I could make it and still ship it to France.
Thanks for looking.   I'll be back soon with another post for my Chinese Year of the Dragon Paper Mache Dragon.

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 7/1/2012 9:40 PM roz wrote:
    That is simply spectacular. I now before your greatness. Incredible Dan!
    1. 7/1/2012 9:42 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      My god Roz.  I just finished the editing and you have a comment on here!   You must have a computer chip in your head.  I'm glad you like her.  I hope he does.  I've sent him these photos and he hasn't responded.  We'll see.  I may end up keeping this one.
      Hope all is well with you.  And thank you for your kind words as always.

• 7/1/2012 9:48 PM Everett wrote:
    Hey Dan, Great to find your website. I have been a fan of the Book Simple Screamers since it first came out! (I made my first screamer during Hurricane Bob in 1991 aptly named "bob") So... Where do you buy the glass eyes or are they made like in your books?
    The "Sleeping Beauty" Dragon is really awesome!
    1. 7/1/2012 9:52 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Everett,
      So nice of you to tune in.  Thank you for your nice comment.  That is funny about Bob.    That was a long time ago.  I get most of my eyes these days from taxidermists.  You can find several if you just google, "glass eyes taxidermy".   I use Van Dyke's a lot.
      Take care.  Hope you pop in again.

• 7/1/2012 9:51 PM Rachael wrote:
    She is absolutely gorgeous. I love all of your creations but this is my favorite so far. I can't wait to see what you do next! And have an explosive fourth of July!
    1. 7/1/2012 9:55 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Rachael,
      Nice to hear from you.  Thank you!  I'm really glad you like her.  Your favorite?  That is high praise.  Makes me feel great.  It is always a bit nerve wracking when you make a commission.  You want to do it justice.   So this compliment is much appreciated.
      See you

• 7/1/2012 10:19 PM Willow wrote:
    She is a glorious work of art, Dan. The lights were a stroke of genius. You should be proud, and your buyer would be crazy not to go all gaga over this piece. If I'd commissioned it, I'd wet myself when I saw those pictures.
    1. 7/1/2012 10:24 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Willow.
      Just sent you an email.   You are so funny.   There is a product for people like you.  They call them "Depends".
      Thank you for the support, as always.  Now get back to work on your sculpt.
      Dan.

• 7/1/2012 10:19 PM Brenda wrote:
    That is too cool! I like the fact the eyes are "normal" eyes when they are not glowing. Fantastic! I am jealous of the receiver in France. =/
    1. 7/1/2012 10:27 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Brenda,
      Thank you for the nice remarks about the eyes.  That was one of the main challenges, making it look like the cartoon glow of the eyes, but recognizing that most of the time the lights would be off.  So it means a lot to have you say that.

• 7/1/2012 10:22 PM Cherry Collins wrote:
    I love the green lit up eyes! Nice work! love to the cats. cheers, Cherry
    1. 7/1/2012 10:25 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Cherry,
      Didn't see the cats this time.  Are they there?   They must be somewhere.   Thank you for stopping by. Glad you like this one.

• 7/1/2012 10:34 PM Lindsey wrote:
    This is absolutely amazing, Dan. You've really outdone yourself on this one. I'm sure the commissioner is overwhelmed with how it turned out - I know I would be! When the lights are turned on it is just... fantastic. I can't think of any more synonyms for the word "amazing".

Really, truly, awesome.
    1. 7/1/2012 10:45 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Lindsey,
      So nice to hear from you.  That is very high praise indeed!  I must say, I was very happy when the lights worked out for the eyes.    The cartoon didn't have round eyeballs.   It only had that particular shape made out of light.  So when I turned on the lights and they looked like the cartoon I was thrilled.   Sometimes things just work out.  Thank you so much for your enthusiastic comment.   It means a lot to me.

• 7/1/2012 11:24 PM suz wrote:
    Looks great Dan! They are going to love it!! Very interesting with the lights, I'd like to try that one... It came out just like the Disney dragon!!
    1. 7/2/2012 9:44 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Thanks Suz,
      I'm just glad for l.e.d.s.   They are miracle lights.   Thank you for your nice comments as always.  Hope you ar busy with your art too.

• 7/2/2012 12:03 AM Nacho wrote:
    OMG! It's gorgeous Dan! How is it possible that you never cease to astonish us??? I start thinking that I know your work and BAM, you come with this Really really beautiful! Congrats
    1. 7/2/2012 9:47 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Nacho,
      Wow, what an enthusiastic endorsement!  Thank you so much!   I am humbled.  Makes me want to get back to work right now.   I'm glad you stopped by,.

• 7/2/2012 12:45 AM Karen wrote:
    Wow! That is just amazing. Love it. The eyes are superb, both on and off. Stunning piece of art.
    1. 7/2/2012 9:48 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Karen,
      I'm very happy that you like her this much.  I just hope my customer likes it as much.  Still haven't heard from him.
      Thank you for taking the time to write.

2. 7/2/2012 9:49 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Karen,
      Thank you for taking the time to write.

• 7/2/2012 6:08 AM Matt DeGelleke wrote:
    Dan, I'm blown away! I just woke up and got your e-mail on this project and WOW! What a site to wake up to. Absolutely amazing! are there any construction pics on this project?
    1. 7/2/2012 9:52 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Matt,
      I'm so happy that you like this one.  Sorry, I was just plowing ahead to get this one done.  I didn't document any of it.   But I did it almost exactly as any of my trophies.   Which makes me realize that I haven't shown a trophy step-by-step in a while.  Maybe I'll do one of those soon.   I have one really cool project in the works first though.
      Thank you for the nice remarks.

• 7/2/2012 7:14 AM Monique Rea wrote:
    WONDERFUL! BEAUTIFUL JOB. GREAT COMMISSION! LIGHTS WORK BEAUTIFULLY! Definitely be very proud. Where in France is this going to be shipped? What city?
    love to see more,
    Monique
    1. 7/2/2012 9:58 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Monique,
      Nice to hear from you again.  Thank you so much!  It means a lot to me that you like her so much.   It is always a nervous moment when you unveil a commission that is supposed to look a certain way.  I don't do it often, so it makes me feel good to know that I pulled it off.   So thank you again.

• 7/2/2012 7:24 AM Lisa wrote:
    Stunning, just stunning!
    1. 7/2/2012 9:59 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Lisa,
      Thank you!   I am so happy people seem to like this.   I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

• 7/2/2012 9:01 AM Candy Newton wrote:
    Dan, this is wonderful, just when you think he could not do anything more perfect than the last one, you recreate another dragon! And BAM, knocks another one outta the park! Love you and love it!
    1. 7/2/2012 10:05 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Candy,
      To tell you the truth, I'm a bit taken aback by the response to this particular project.  It's very satisfying.   Thank you so much for your enthusiastic remarks.  Makes me feel great about this dragon.      And you can't get enough love.  Thanks for spreading it around.

• 7/2/2012 9:11 AM Anonymous wrote:
    Utterly, utterly FABULOUS! Your client will be thrilled! You really captured that dragon, who was a cast-member of some of my childhood nightmares.
    1. 7/2/2012 10:10 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello anonymous.
      That's why I made her.  To re-create your nightmares!  ha ha.  That is funny.  And it dates you.   I remember this dragon too.  I was actually quite critical of the drawing.   Not the face, but the wings always bugged me.  They were way too small for her body.  They were token wings.   If you are going to make a winged dragon, the wings need to be substantial.  I know that's more than anyone asked for.   Thank you for taking the time to write.  I really appreciate it.

• 7/2/2012 9:13 AM mona wrote:
    Very cool Dan.Now you have me thinking what I can add lights to.
    1. 7/2/2012 10:14 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Mona,
      Me too.  I have a bunch of extras.  As is my usual pattern, I bought all white lights first thinking that the paint would give the color, and they were brighter.   But they didn't work nearly as well as having them green to begin with.  So then I bought all green.  I even considered buying all yellow after that thinking that might look better.
      Hope all is well with you.  Hope you are making art.  More frogs maybe?  I'm still figuring out a project where I can use more of the teeth you gave me.
      Glad to hear from you.

• 7/2/2012 10:24 AM Denise Bledsoe wrote:
    It's always exciting to see that you've made a new post Dan. Your dragon trophy is awesome! Figuring out the
    lighting and special effects is a challenge that you met that shows your many talents. Your client is fortunate for sure.
    1. 7/2/2012 11:40 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Denise,
      You are always really supportive.  Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.  It's always nice to hear from you.  Hope you are making some art too.

• 7/2/2012 3:33 PM Jules K wrote:
    fantastical, you absolutely got that character and brought it to life, love that dragon!
    1. 7/2/2012 5:03 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Jules,
      Thank you!   That's very nice of you to pop by and say so.    Makes me feel better and better about it.

• 7/2/2012 4:39 PM Lyman wrote:
    Where's the rest of it?!
    Just kidding - awesome work, Dan. The lighting really makes it, well, maleficent!
    1. 7/2/2012 5:07 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi monster man Lyman,
      I'm glad he didn't ask for the entire thing.    Clever use of the name.  Do you think they were making the same play on words when they chose it?  I don't understand this name actually.   I don't even know how to pronounce it.  Is it male-fi (short i)-cent.   Or is it Mal (short a)-e (schwa)-fi-cent?  It gets stuck on my tongue either way.
      Enough of that.  Thanks as always for your kind words.

1. 7/4/2012 5:07 AM Nacho wrote:
        if it helps, 'Maléfico' in spanish means evil and more specifically someone evil who hurts through 'Maleficios' (spells). I guess that's how they came up with the name.
        1. 7/4/2012 9:21 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
          Hi Nacho!
          Thank you for that!   That shows how dumb I am.  I thought there were making a bad play on English words.  But they were actually using Spanish.   This makes total sense.
          PS.  For anyone reading this, check out Nacho's blog.   http://ignatiusmanex.blogspot.com.es/

• 7/2/2012 6:47 PM stephane wuttunee wrote:
    Dan, I'm VERY proud of you and this latest masterpiece. You've always greatly inspired me and kept my spirits high when creating, and this brute is just simply GORGEOUS!!! Congratulations to you, congratulations to your wife for having endured the creative process (grin) and especially congratulations to the lucky client who gets to hang it on the wall. What a fantastic piece!

Stephane Wuttunee
    1. 7/2/2012 6:52 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Stephane,
      It's so nice to hear from you!  I hope all is well.  I hope you are still making your own masterpieces.  Thank you for your kind words.  You inspire me too.    I am very flattered when I get compliments from other artists I respect and admire.  It make me want to do more.
      Take care of yourself.

• 7/2/2012 7:02 PM Karen Lawson wrote:
    She's beautiful!
    1. 7/2/2012 7:37 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Karen,
      Thank you!  I'm very happy that you like her.
      Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

• 7/3/2012 11:45 AM Just Me wrote:
    All I can say is "Wow"!! It must be wonderful to have such talent. Just bought your Monster book. Does talent come with it?
    1. 7/3/2012 11:57 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Diann (I'm making a stab here),
      You are very kind.  Thank you for the nice note.  I do think talent is more practice and experience than anything else.  I've been doing this for a very long time.   Nevertheless, flattery will get you everywhere.   Good luck with your own projects.  Let me know if I can ever answer any questions.

• 7/3/2012 2:50 PM Monica wrote:
    Amazing! I love the horns. I was planing on making a dragon with the same type of horns, how did you make them? I am going to make Spyro the dragon using some of your methods. Thanks
    Monica
    1. 7/3/2012 3:23 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Monica,
      Thank you for the nice remarks.  I'm glad you like her.  I just made the horns using a couple of balls that I paper mached that I tapered into a point.   Of course I altered them a bit using bits of paper and masking tape.  Good luck on your project.  Sounds like fun.

• 7/4/2012 1:21 PM Juan wrote:
    Hello Dan,INCREDIBLE!!! I have no words to describe how inspiring your jobs are. Each figure I see is better, if is possible, than the previous.
    1. 7/4/2012 2:05 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      hello Juan,
      That is such an enthusiastic comment!  Thank you so much!  I really appreciate it.   It makes me very happy to know that it turned out well.   Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to write.

• 7/8/2012 3:11 PM maria gracia wrote:
    Dan,
    It is AMAZING! I loved it. Great idea for the lights, it makes a beautiful effect. greetings from argentina!
    1. 7/8/2012 3:14 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Maria from Argentina,
      It is so nice to hear from you!   Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to write.  I'm really happy that you enjoy this new piece of work.
      Dan from Seattle

• 7/9/2012 6:51 AM Wendy wrote:
    Maleficent has long been one of my favorites (and as I've gotten older, I'm starting to sympathize with her more...). That is absolutely amazing work; she is incroyable!
    1. 7/9/2012 9:50 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Wendy,
      It is funny how certain images endure from childhood.   This was one of the first dragons I remember as a child.   I never would have thought that someday I'd be making her.   I'm glad you like her too.
      I love that she is "incroyable".

• 7/9/2012 3:03 PM John Myes wrote:
    I REALLY want one of those. It is AWESOME...
    1. 7/9/2012 7:30 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi John,
      I'm very happy that you like her.    Thank you for your nice comment.

• 7/9/2012 3:08 PM Dan wrote:
    Dan the Monster-man,
    I just saw this picture published via Thinkgeek on Facebook. Let me just say that I am blown away by your ability with mache work! I've done mache a few times in the past(high school) and I can understand how time consuming it can be. I appreciate the effort, skills, and love you have CLEARLY put into your work. Keep up the great work, we Dans have to keep the namesake proud. ^_^
    1. 7/9/2012 7:34 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Dan,
      I'll bet you've been called "Dan the Man" a dillion times.   A newspaper reporter called me "Dan the Monster Man" in an article in 1982 and it stuck.   So as an artist named Dan, you have to be careful what you make.   Thank you for the very nice comment.  I'm really flattered.   And you should get back into this medium.   It's waiting for you.

• 7/9/2012 3:17 PM Margaree wrote:
    A friend shared this on FB and I've shared to show my friends This is just beautiful! Wish it was on my wall <3
    1. 7/9/2012 7:36 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Margaree,
      Thank you for sharing her on your Facebook page!  It feels really nice to know you like her enough to share her with your friends.   It is much appreciated.

• 7/9/2012 3:22 PM Kira Foster wrote:
    Ohmygosh, this is so beautiful! Do you think you could do a Cave of Wonders from Aladdin? That's one of my favorite Disney movies, I'm just curious! You're truly talented!
    1. 7/9/2012 7:39 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Kira,
      Thank you for taking the time to write.  The Cave of Wonders sounds intriguing.   Unfortunately I have  a few other projects to attend to.      I'm very happy that you like this dragon though.  Thanks for stopping by.

• 7/9/2012 3:26 PM Cassandra wrote:
    Please just TAKE MY MONEY!
    would you make me one?
    1. 7/9/2012 7:41 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Cassandra,
      Okay, just fill up a shoe box with money and send it to me.  That would be really nice!  ha ha.  You are very funny.  Of course if you are truly interested, drop me a line at dan@gourmetpapermache.com.   You never know.
      Thank you for your enthusiastic endorsement.

• 7/9/2012 4:03 PM Jenny wrote:
    I just saw this on Facebook, posted by ThinkGeek and I wanted to tell you that she is incredible! You are so very talented! Thanks for sharing your art with the world. now if only I could afford to commission one of these for my mom, Maleficent's #1 fan
    1. 7/9/2012 7:43 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Jenny,
      Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to write.   I really appreciate the nice remarks.  You must have  a great mother.  Perhaps you could make her something like this.   It just takes some time and patience.
      Hope you come by again.

• 7/9/2012 4:05 PM phillipe wrote:
    Dude, you are the best!
    This dragon looks awesome! You do a great job.
    Hugs and kisses from Rio!
    Peace!
    1. 7/9/2012 8:00 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Phillipe from Rio,
      What a wonderful place to be from!   Thank you for your kind words.  I love that people around the planet all like dragons.   I'm very happy that you like this one.
  • 7/9/2012 4:31 PM Andy M wrote:
    Excellent. The "original" looks like it has a longer snout, and the mouth lights maybe could be yellower, but I like how you made it less cartoony and more realistic. You could make and sell these (assuming you don't call it Maleficent)! Looking at the cartoon, btw, I wonder if the dragon's head was inspired by the 1938 Phantom Corsair (http://www.flickr.com/photos/antsphoto/2229156366/lightbox/)?
    1. 7/9/2012 8:06 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Andy,
      You are too funny with the car!  I agree, the shape is ideal.   I appreciate the critiques.   I must say in my defense though that there are many renditions of the original.   There is quite a bit of latitude in how she is depicted in much of the art.   In some photos the face is shorter and the horns larger.  In others it's the reverse.   Some photos show very yellow lights, some green.  In the end I thought about it as the dragon the cartoon was made after rather than the other way around.   So I made it the way I liked her.   Thank you for taking the time to write.

• 7/9/2012 4:54 PM Ashley wrote:
    If you are willing to make another as a commission, I am serious when I say I want to be first in line to commission it. Such an amazing piece of art.
    1. 7/9/2012 8:11 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Ashley,
      You are very kind.  I love your enthusiastic endorsement.   I didn't mention on the blog that I charged $2000 plus shipping for this piece.   This work is very labor intensive.  This took me weeks to build.  I'm not sure if this dampens your enthusiasm or not.    I never make exactly the same piece twice, but sometimes I make different renditions.   I don't know if I'll be making any more Maleficents, but we can certainly talk if you are still interested.
      Thank you for your kind words.
      dan@gourmetpapermache.com

2. 7/9/2012 8:15 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi again Ashley,
      Sorry, I should be more clear.  I always guarantee that a commission will be a unique piece.  That's built into the price.   By "different renditions" I mean variations that would clearly not compete with the original commissioned piece.  I don't know if this helps.  Just thought I should mention it since I've had a number or requests of this nature for this piece.

• 7/9/2012 5:07 PM Ronnie Jones wrote:
    Please e-mail me with a price, seriously just name any ole price and I will cue up here for a comission of this brilliant piece of awesome!
    1. 7/9/2012 8:18 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Ronnie,
      I'm really taken aback by how much people like this piece.  I'm just really flattered.  Thank you for your interest.
      I never make the same piece twice, but am willing to entertain suggestions for variations of the theme.

• 7/9/2012 5:45 PM anna wrote:
    This is really impressive. Do u take orders?? Id love one of these!
    1. 7/9/2012 8:45 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Anna
      Thank you for your nice comment.  I really appreciate it.   I mentioned in one of my other responses that I never make the same, exact project twice.  Part of my selling price is the guarantee that the piece is unique.   I have made different renditions of some projects, but never the same project.  Still, if you are really serious about something, feel free to contact me at dan@gourmetpapermache.com.
      Thank you for your interest.

• 7/9/2012 6:13 PM MaleficentKnits wrote:
    as a lover of all things Maleficent, I just wanted to tell you how beautiful this is... you did a wonderful job.
    1. 7/9/2012 8:47 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello MaleficentKnits,
      Wow, I'm especially flattered since you are obviously a fan of the original work.  I'm very happy indeed that this meets your approval.  Thank you for taking the time to tell me so.
      Hope you stop by again.

• 7/9/2012 6:53 PM Tracie wrote:
    I was literally rendered speechless when I saw Maleficent, my absolute favorite Disney character, come to life in that photograph. You, sir, are a genius and have created something that is not only a work of art, but the creation of fantasy into a form of reality. Thank you.
    1. 7/9/2012 8:50 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Tracie,
      I'm really happy to know that you are happy with my rendition of your favorite character from Disney.  That is high praise indeed.   Your enthusiasm means  a lot to me.
      Hope you like some of my other work as well.
      Take care.

• 7/9/2012 7:22 PM Samantha wrote:
    Maleficent is my favorite Disney villain. I have been collecting Maleficent things ever since I have memory and this..... This is a beautiful piece that I would LOVE to have in my collection. Art speaks a million volumes and you, Sir, have caught Maleficent at her finest....... Gorgeous piece!!! Please continue the EXCELLENT work.
    1. 7/9/2012 8:54 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Samantha,
      Don't you love loving the villians?    I've had this dragon in my mind since I was a child also.   I am really flattered knowing that this piece captured your vision of Malecifent.   It makes me very happy to read your remarks.  Thank you so much for taking the time to put them in writing.   It means a lot to me.
      Stop by again sometime.

• 7/9/2012 7:39 PM Janice wrote:
    I would love to own this amazing piece, how much would this cost to have one made?
    1. 7/9/2012 8:58 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Janice,
      I've had a lot of requests for this since I put it on my blog.  I'm sorry to say but I never make the same exact piece twice.   Making a unique piece of art is part of my price for the commission.    Just for your information, I charged $2000 plus shipping for this piece.    If you are interested in exploring other options, feel free to contact me at
      dan@gourmetpapermache.com.  In any case, thank you so much for your interest and your nice comment.

• 7/9/2012 8:08 PM Emily wrote:
    This is AWESOME. Great job! Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite movies, and Maleficent being my favorite Villain. How much would you charge for one of these?
    1. 7/9/2012 9:03 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Emily,
      I'm very happy you like her.  Thank you for telling me.  I never make the same piece of art twice.  I charged $2000 plus shipping for this one.    They are very labor intensive.  I'm always willing to discuss alternatives.   I'm available at dan@gourmetpapermache.com.
      Thank you for your remarks and your interest.

• 7/9/2012 8:24 PM Iceshark39 wrote:
    Positively STUNNING work! The amount of detail and work that was put into this piece REALLY shows in the end result. I am well and truly blown away by this!! Gives me hope that some of my visions might actually come to light
    1. 7/9/2012 9:05 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Iceshark,
      Thank you for your wonderful comment!  And yes, your visions can come to light.  Absolutely!  This is a great medium for self-expression.  You should give it a try.

• 7/9/2012 9:13 PM Joe wrote:
    That is just Sick Dan. True Master at what you do. How can i get intouch with you for commissions?
    1. 7/9/2012 10:32 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Joe,
      I love saying that.  Thank you for the nice comment.  You can get in touch with me at dan@gourmetpapermache.com.

• 7/9/2012 9:19 PM ms.starr a. haas wrote:
    Love your artwork I am inspired by you. I love to creat and paint I will start again soon had a set back of a special person who passed on. I hope to get back on my feet so i can do what i love art again. Just want to Thank You . Ms STarr alexandria Haas.see me at facebook if you like
  • 7/9/2012 10:40 PM Kira Foster wrote:
    I understand entirely having other projects. I saw what your quote on commissions was, and it wouldn't be something I could purchase immediately anyways. I would love a Cave of Wonders for my home one day. Until then, I'll just gawk in awe!
    1. 7/9/2012 11:20 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi again Kira,
      I'm just happy that you like the art.    I only do a few commissions a year.   I have projects that I want to do for myself.   I just love doing the work.  Right now I am making a video that I think will be lots of fun.     Thank you for being so supportive.

• 7/9/2012 10:49 PM Sean wrote:
    Man I truly love it. That is impressive. How much do you charge for something like that. You should email me. Keep up the fantastic work.
    1. 7/9/2012 11:22 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Sean,
      Thanks for your nice remarks.  I'm happy that you like the work.   These projects are very labor intensive.  I only do  a few commissions a year.  I don't want it to be just about money.    I charged $2000 plus shipping for this piece.
      Thanks for stopping by and for your interest.

• 7/10/2012 1:58 AM Kez Francis-Watts wrote:
    I was sent this by one of my Disney friends this morning... I am totally blown away as a HUGE Disney fan and Costume/Prop maker. There truly no words to describe this piece! You have captured her perfectly and the lighting really brings it to life. It is amazing the effects you are able to achieve from such a medium. Bravo sir... BRAVO!
    x
    1. 7/10/2012 9:27 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Kez,
      I am really blown away by the positive response this piece has generated.   Thank you so much for taking the time to write this comment.  Since you are in the prop business, I am even more flattered.  Makes my day!

• 7/10/2012 3:22 AM Wendie wrote:
    How much would one of these cost to have made?
    1. 7/10/2012 9:29 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Wendy,
      Thank you for your interest.   I'm sorry but I never make the same piece twice.  That is part of what I offer to the person who commissions me.   I can tell you that I sold this one for $2000 plus shipping (it's going to France).   My projects take a lot of time to make.

• 7/10/2012 4:24 AM Brandie Renae wrote:
    It doesn't have to be THIS dragon ... nor does it need to be as big. (I live in an apt)

I just WANT *a* dragon.

this is beautiful!! you did well, sir.

My skill is with fabric, I can truly make anything.

I'd love to be able to sculpt!

I grew up in Washington & spent a lot of time in Seattle.

Thank you again for making my day!
    1. 7/10/2012 9:32 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi again Brandie,
      Since you have experience with art you can easily make a dragon.  Definitely try this medium out.   Many people have watched my videos and/or looked at my sculpts on my blog and/or got one of my books and made dragons.   And they love them more than if I had made them.   Give this a try!

1. 7/10/2012 9:42 AM Brandie Renae wrote:
        my "skill" lies in studying artwork - and recreating the garments therein. touching fabric and 'knowing' intrinsically what it should 'be'. finding out (after the fact) the way I finish things, is exactly how they did it 'back in the day'.

I'm afraid I would be so critical of the results if I did try a dragon!!
        1. 7/10/2012 9:46 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
          Hi again Brandie,
          I love how you describe your skills.  You have found an artistic niche.    Believe me, I'm still critical of my own work.   That's why it's nice once in a while to get such an enthusiastic response to a piece.  I didn't think this would generate such interest.  I have pieces I like more, like my Dark Butterfly.

Anyway, it's just another art medium to get obsessed with.  It's there if you want it.  You'd be surprised how user friendly it is, much more so than your fabric work.
          Thank you for writing .  Good luck with your work.

• 7/10/2012 4:56 AM Annette wrote:
    WOW, one of my Facebook friends put a link to your site and I am so glad I visited. You are so talented, I just love your dragons and fairy creature...
    I watched a couple of the videos and shared a couple to my site, hope you don't mind!!!
    Keep up the beautiful work my friend :o)
    1. 7/10/2012 9:34 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Annette,
      I'm really taken aback by the interest in this particular piece of art.  I love that your friend shared this with you.  And I thank you for sharing my videos.  Thank you!
      Hope you stop by again sometime.

• 7/10/2012 5:42 AM Amanda wrote:
    I have never seen paper mache that looked anything like this! I've only ever seen it look perhaps a step above what I was able to create around a balloon in grammar school! Thank you for opening my eyes and brightening my day. Fantastic work!
    1. 7/10/2012 9:36 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Amanda,
      It makes me very happy when someone makes the statement you made about seeing paper mache in a new way.  That has been my mission for many years, to bring this under-rated, under-utilized art form into the realm of legitimate art.
      Thank you for your nice remarks.

• 7/10/2012 6:04 AM Jesse wrote:
    Seriously, this is the most badical thing I've ever seen and I want one
    1. 7/10/2012 9:37 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Jesse,
      I'm so happy you like this!  Thank you for the energetic response!

• 7/10/2012 6:27 AM Courtney wrote:
    This is amazing. Maleficent has always been my favorite villain, and you've done an AMAZING job. Seriously--she's beautiful (with lights on and off). I would totally want one, but I'm a poor college student. I am tempted to ask about the price of making another....
    1. 7/10/2012 9:40 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Courtney,
      You should definitely give this medium a try.  You could make your own.  I'm not kidding.    My site and blog is about sharing these techniques.  Anyone can do it.  Of course you have to study too.  But perhaps over one of your breaks.    In any case, thank you for your nice comment.  I'm very happy that my Malecifent meets your expectations as a fan.
      Stop by again some time.

• 7/10/2012 7:12 AM Orlith wrote:
    Oh my (falls down in shock) I have just found your site thansk to a friend.....that is just fantastic ( i am dragon obsessed) Might poke you someday for a commision too
    1. 7/10/2012 9:42 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Orlith,
      It's nice to meet another dragon obsessed person.  I sure am as you can see.  There can never be too many dragons in the world.  As a dragon lover, I'm glad my site lived up to your expectations.  Thank you for telling me so.

• 7/10/2012 8:51 AM Betsy Gaida wrote:
    All I can say is, WOW!!!!!
    1. 7/10/2012 9:43 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Betsy,
      All I can say is thank you!  I'm really happy that you like her.  Thank you.

• 7/10/2012 10:14 AM M B wrote:
    Hello. Sorry if you've answered this. I've just stumbled in here! Just for me to have an idea, what was the grand total, for someone to become the owner of another one of these? Shipping as well?

Cheers.
    1. 7/10/2012 11:45 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello MB,
      Thank you for stopping by.  This is actually a unique commission. I won't be making any more although I'm always making different dragons.    I sold this piece for $2000 plus shipping .  I appreciate your interest.

• 7/10/2012 11:15 AM Andrew wrote:
    Hi there, im a collector of all things dragons and i like to say that your dragon is out of this world. Is there any chance of purchasing one of the dragons, if so can i change the lights in the eyes to red and same with the mouth. Its one of the best dragons i have seen around in a while.
    1. 7/10/2012 11:48 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Andrew,
      It's nice to meet another dragon lover.   This particular piece is one-of-a-kind.  It was a commission for a guy in France.   I never make the same piece twice.   My guarantee of a unique piece is part of what people pay for.   Thank you for your interest.  I'm very flattered.
    2. 7/10/2012 11:48 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Andrew,
  • 7/10/2012 12:24 PM Amanda wrote:
    This is amazing! AND, out of curiosity How much would charge for something like this? please, It's one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
    1. 7/10/2012 12:28 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Amanda,
      I'm very flattered that you like her so much.  I made this commission for $2000 plus shipping.   I never duplicate projects.   But I will always make dragons and dragon trophies.   Thank you for your interest.
  • 7/10/2012 10:38 PM Eric wrote:
    I love this! Big fan of Maleficent and her Dragon since I was young. Wish I had one! - This is super lovely! You did a grand job! Have you thought about making a Mal? - Well, I can't wait to see more! Much love and respect!
    1. 7/10/2012 11:13 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Eric,
      It's nice to know that fans of Maleficent approve.  Thank you so much for letting my know you like her.
      Thank you for stopping by my blog.
      PS.  Perhaps it was a typo.  I don't know what a "Mal" is.

• 7/10/2012 11:30 PM Eric wrote:
    A Maleficent. I was to lazy to type it all out. LOL!
    1. 7/11/2012 3:16 AM Brandie Renae wrote:
      This IS Maleficent, he was commissioned to make her and came up with this beautiful result.
      1. 7/11/2012 6:45 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
        Hi Brandie,
        You are really sweet.  Thank you!   I think of her as the real thing too.  I hope you pop by often.

• 7/11/2012 9:55 AM Angela Sloan wrote:
    I swear whenever I need to smile or need to be inspired I just look at your site. Another brilliant masterpiece. Love it, Love it, Love it!!!
    Thanks (again) Dan!!!
    Cannot tell you enough now much you are appreciated for always sharing your creations and your excitement for what you are doing, it is infectious (In a good way!)
    1. 7/11/2012 6:54 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Angela,
      Nice to hear from you!  What a wonderful compliment!  It makes me want to make more!   Thank you so much for your kind words.    It is really nice of you to stop by and comment.
      Talk to you later.

• 7/11/2012 11:20 AM Raven Amos wrote:
    I grew up on your books but was never able to make anything that was nearly as awesome as your stuff. Good to see you still doing fantastic work! This is probably one of your best to date.
    1. 7/11/2012 6:58 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Raven,
      I'm glad you like this particular piece.  If you think I'm getting better, it's just because I've had a lot more practice.  Maybe it's time to dust off the old flour and bowl, don't you think?
      I'm happy that you stopped by.
      Thank you!

• 7/11/2012 11:34 AM Dave Cleinman wrote:
    Magnificent creation, Dan. It is so much more than just a model of Maleficent. It is both the character, and something more, too. I think I'm gonna have to try it.
    1. 7/11/2012 7:00 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Dave,
      Thank you!  I really appreciate the vote of confidence.   And yes, I think you will have to give it a try again!
      Good luck and have fun.

• 7/11/2012 12:17 PM Valerie wrote:
    Magnificent Maleficent!!! I think I'm in love! And I'm most definitely going to have to buy your book! I've been fascinated with papier mache' creations for years, but was never quite ready for the challenge; you're an inspiration to me, Dan. Thank you so much! (= @{~~~
    1. 7/11/2012 7:03 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Valarie,
      Thank you for your nice comments!   Paper mache is a great medium.  I still love it after all these years.    I hope you do give it a shot whether you buy the book or not.  If you do let me know if you ever have any questions.

• 7/11/2012 6:34 PM Anonymous wrote:
    wow amazing
    are you making anymore at the moment and do you do classes???
    do you do real life as well
    cool keep up the goos work
    lots of smiles
    sally
    1. 7/11/2012 7:13 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Sally,
      I have done a few workshops recently, but don't have any planned further.    My videos and blog (and books) are all designed to help people with these techniques.    Give it a try!
      Thank you for your kind words.

• 7/11/2012 7:33 PM Rick wrote:
    That is a trophy I would be proud to own!!
    1. 7/12/2012 3:24 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Rick,
      Thank you for taking the time to write.  It makes me happy to know that you would like it.  I made this as a commission and it makes me happy to know that other people think it turned out well.

• 7/12/2012 11:12 AM DarkFrog wrote:
    This is absolutely the best looking Maleficent Dragon piece I have ever seen! I want one! Really I do! and I don't live in France, but here in the US. I have been a Maleficent fan for as long as I can remember, I have just about everything I can get my hands on, but this is the absolute best!!!! I cannot believe the life-like detail and the amazing effects. This is truly amazing and you are very talented!.
    1. 7/12/2012 3:34 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Dark Frog (I love this name!),
      I really appreciate the enthusiastic endorsement of this project.  Thank you!   I'm sorry but I promise people who buy commissions that I will never make a duplicate.  Part of what they pay for is that the project is unique.  But thank you for your interest.  Of course I do make other dragon trophies.

• 7/12/2012 1:11 PM Dani wrote:
    HI,
    I just wanted to comment to say how fantastic this is. Iam inspired to try making one myself.
    You did a very good job and she is fantastic. Wow just wow.
    1. 7/12/2012 3:36 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Dani,
      Thank you for your nice comment!  And yes, you should make one!  Sounds like you have some artistic experience. This was a lot of fun.
      Good luck!

• 7/12/2012 3:56 PM BarbS Woodworks wrote:
    Highly Awesome. I 'pinned' you to Pinterest!
    1. 7/12/2012 7:43 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Barb,
      Thank you for the pin.  That's very nice of you indeed.
      And thanks for writing.

• 7/12/2012 6:00 PM Allene wrote:
    Dan - Fantastic art! Just beautiful, and very inspiring! One of my sons (the logical, non-artistic one) is already on-board with doing a family project and I know the artistic one will bring his talent to the table as well! What a wonderful way to spend some family time! Thanks so much for sharing your gift and even telling/showing us techniques for creating our own!! Fabulous!!! ~ Ali
    1. 7/12/2012 7:45 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Ali (I have a daughter named Alli),
      You are very welcome for the techniques.  Good luck to your sons and the rest of the family.  And thank you for the nice comment!

• 7/12/2012 6:05 PM wildchild1954 wrote:
    There are only four words that can possibly apply to this dragon: MY GOD THAT'S AWESOME!!! The next time I get to Federal Way to visit the kids I'll have to look you up!
    1. 7/12/2012 7:48 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Wildchild (although you and I are contemporaries, I was born in 1950),
      Thank you for the nice comment!  I'm very happy you like my dragon.   The response to this have been very positive.

• 7/12/2012 11:41 PM Carolyn Bispels wrote:
    Dan,
    You are pure PM Genius...I ordered one of your books...could not sleep and decided to glance at your site...Just awesome, wonderful and so exhilarating...Thanks for being so kind and posting your work and guides...You excite the creative spirit in me...I love this medium...it is so challenging..and I love Your work sooooo much....Thanks again for your creative genius,,,so pleased to know you from Facebook,,,God gave you a gift..and can't say it enough..Thanks for sharing it with all of us out here!
    Your kindness is as awesomely marvelous as your art! hugs , Carolyn Bispels
    1. 7/13/2012 8:02 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Carolyn,
      I notice that you bought my dragon-making book.   I've seen your name many times, but as you can tell, I'm a terrible Facebooker.  I just never get on.    It's very nice to hear from you directly.   Thank you for your very kind remarks.    There is not better compliment to me than to have someone say that my work inspires them to try.  So thank you for saying so.
      Good luck to you!  And let me know if I can ever answer any questions.

• 7/13/2012 3:11 AM fraca wrote:
    Superbe j'adore
    1. 7/13/2012 8:04 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Fraca,
      Thank you!  I'm happy that you like my dragon.

• 7/13/2012 7:35 AM Brandilynn wrote:
    This is the coolest paper mache I have ever seen! I'd totally buy this! LOVE IT!!!!
    1. 7/13/2012 8:05 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Brandilyn,
      You are very sweet.  Thank you for taking the time to write.   It's much appreciated.

• 7/13/2012 9:18 PM Adrian wrote:
    Greetings!

Your work is incredibly beautiful. I have lots of projects that include this kind of mythology and detail. This blog (guide!) truly gives me not just inspiration, but also motivation of not giving up... I leave too many projects unfinished

I hope that you know that this is inspiring, lovely and touching! I'll keep looking forward to you blog!
    1. 7/14/2012 6:26 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Adrian,
      It's always nice to meet other artists.  It makes me very happy to know that my blog might make you want to do more art.  That is extremely flattering to me.    I always think that if you don't want to finish a project then maybe it shouldn't be.   There is only a limited amount of time to live, spend it on the pieces you really want to finish.   Just a thought.
      Take care and hope to hear from you again.  Meanwhile keep making art.  It makes the world a better place I think.

• 7/13/2012 11:42 PM diane wrote:
    I just love your work, it so amazing!! I designed a few crochet dragons but they don't compare to this!
    1. 7/14/2012 6:28 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Diane,
      Wow, crochet dragons.  I think that would be really difficult!   It's always nice to hear from another dragon lover.  Thank you for stopping by and for writing.

• 7/14/2012 11:04 AM kathy holleman wrote:
    Your work is incredible. My daughter would love the dragons.
    1. 7/14/2012 1:07 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Kathy,
      I'm glad you like my dragons.    Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

• 7/14/2012 11:11 AM Dani wrote:
    Hi again,
    I sure will make one so want to now.
    The last BIG project I done which was slightly paper mache is the following:

Her head was paper mache and the rest was a hanger, pillow, bin bags, tennis balls, black tape and few other things.
    Sadly she didn't make it from where she was being kept because the art group couldn't keep the place any longer, I had no where to put her either so she is now lost sadly. She was fun to make though
    I also draw. I did have a few projects I wanted to do but I think the dragon must take over

Again Fantastic work

Dani
    1. 7/14/2012 1:10 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi again Dani,
      Thank you for sharing the photos of your Spider.   What a great project!  That would be a shame to lose  a piece of art like that.      Have fun with your dragon.  I always have a dragon going on no matter what else is happening.  You can't have too many dragons.
      Good luck on yours!

• 7/15/2012 9:46 PM Elizabeth wrote:
    Hi there, I was wondering at how much a commission like this will cost because I would love to have one done for my mom.
    1. 7/16/2012 6:35 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Elizabeth,
      Thank you for your interest in my work.  This is a one of a kind piece.  I promise people when I make a commission that the piece will be unique.   Because of the great response I got from this piece however I'm planning on making  a couple variations of the theme, a couple trophies of great horned dragons, just not Maleficent.   I charged $2000 plus shipping for this piece.  They are very labor intensive to make.   If you are really interested please contact me at dan@gourmetpapermache.com.

• 7/16/2012 2:34 PM Stella wrote:
    That’s fantastic! I’m especially impressed with how you’ve taken the original drawing and interpreted the volume and the details that are absent in the Disney version. It really does look like it’s the animal the drawing was based on. I’ve done a fair amount of work with paper mache myself, but mostly quite small stuff and I really like the idea of a big trophy head. You’ve also inspired me to look into making eyes out of clear silicone. Thanks so much for posting your awesome work!
    1. 7/16/2012 2:47 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Stella,
      I'm very happy that you like my Maleficent especially since you have done paper mache yourself.    Thank you for appreciating what I was trying to do with this commission.   The response has been positive which makes me feel like I did a good job for my client.
      Hope you stop by again sometime.
      Good luck with all of your artistic ventures.

• 7/17/2012 9:07 AM Maxx M wrote:
    That is nothing short of incredible. I'm going to have to put money aside so that one day I can get something like this for myself. Your client and future clients are very fortunate to have such amazing talent behind their orders.
    1. 7/17/2012 1:10 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Maxx,
      That is a very flattering endorsement!  Thank you for your confidence.   I'm really happy that you like this piece.
      Hope you stop my again.

• 7/17/2012 2:57 PM Terri Anderson-Schlader wrote:
    My son Brayden, who has down syndrome was fascinated and just loved your dragon. You are a fantastic artist. Thank you for sharing this with us. You made him smile today!
    1. 7/17/2012 3:38 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Terri,
      This has to be one of the nicest comments I've gotten in a very long time.   I'm really happy that your son liked my dragon.   It made my day.  Thank you for sharing this with me!

• 7/18/2012 7:18 AM sharon craigs wrote:
    Hi, What a lovely dragon. my son has autism and would totally love one. He is having a new room built specially for his needs and this would just finish his room completly. I've sent my email could you please email me as I would love to buy one for him. Please Please Please... Thank you
    1. 7/18/2012 11:56 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Sharon,
      It's nice to meet you.  I'm very flattered.   I just got back from New York.  I'll email you.

• 7/18/2012 10:58 AM Nine wrote:
    The story goes that I went to see Sleeping Beauty when I was five, and came home disgusted with the heroine and in love with Maleficent. OMG - this is awesome sauce! And you've just inspired my next Dragon Mask (FINALLY found a way to make them light and wearable - bless Jonni Good). Thank you soooo much for doing this - and you must have enjoyed it lots!
    1. 7/18/2012 11:54 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Nine,
      I'm happy to have been able to help.   I'm very happy you like the piece.  Good luck on your project!

• 7/21/2012 10:19 AM Beth wrote:
    Hello Dan,
    I have purchased your books(all 3!)and am working on my third project...this one is going to be a dragon. May I ask what size eyes you typically use? I will have to buy them online (I'm going to use VanDykes), but I am very visual and don't want to buy one of each size just to be sure it is the right one (although I can buy a few different sizes, just not the whole lot). I'm thinking 14mm?? Thank you for your art and inspiration. I follow your blog faithfully!
    1. 7/21/2012 11:28 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Beth,
      So nice to hear that you are making art!  That's great!  I would love to see your work sometime (even put them on my site if you are interested).    About the eyes...I'm just like you when it comes to the right size.   I always end up with a pile of eyes that I will eventually use, but I always hedge my bets and buy a few sizes.   14mm would be a great size I think if your dragon is roughly the size I made in the book.   I now have eyes of almost every size, so what I do is use them as a guide when buying new ones.      Short of that you can cut out circles in cardboard in the sizes of the eyes you are considering and see how they look before you order them.  That's what I did before I had extra eyes.  Of course it didn't keep me from buying additional sizes anyway, but that's just me (and maybe you).  But since you are a multiple monster/dragon maker, you would eventually use all the ones you buy anyway.  So go for 14mm but buy a pair of 16mm just in case.  That's my advice.
      Nice talking to you.  Good luck on your dragon.

1. 7/21/2012 1:57 PM Anonymous wrote:
        Thank you Dan!! I will be buying extra eyes, but my eyes are bigger then my pocket book, if you know what I mean (sort of like my eyes are bigger than my stomach). The cardboard circle idea is stellar! I'll have to send you photos sometime...thanks again. You are a very generous soul to pass on your wisdom.
  • 7/21/2012 10:04 PM Bill in Spokane wrote:
    She is BEAUTIFUL! I have poured through your books and am getting ready to embark on my own paper mache dragon's head journey! Thanks for the inspiration, and I will send you pictures of what finally is hatched!
    1. 7/21/2012 11:22 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Bill,
      It's nice to meet you.  I'm very happy to hear that you are ready to embark on your journey.   Good luck!  Let me know if I can offer any advice along the way.

• 7/26/2012 9:26 AM Brenda Moehlig wrote:
    You are amazing! I'm sure you've heard it a million times. I just found your site yesterday and I've already looked through everything and want to purchase all your books. This dragon is spectacular and I enjoy all of your work, my kiddos and I are working on some monsters now since reviewing the step by steps. Oh, did I mention your amazing?! Ok, well also your videos are funny, my daughter and I laughed at your humor, so many people do instructionals and they are such stiffs. Thank you for sharing your work with us. Best wishes and Take care, Brenda
    1. 7/26/2012 1:11 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Brenda,
      The best compliment I can get is hearing that my work inspires someone else to give it a try.     I'm very happy to hear you want to make something.   Let me know if you ever have any questions.  I'm happy to help.
      And thank you for the kind words about my site.   You are sweet.
      Take care and good luck!

• 7/27/2012 11:50 AM Chris wrote:
    How much would it cost to get you to make me one
    1. 7/27/2012 4:40 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Chris,
      Thank you for your interest in Maleficent.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending upon how you look at it) I've had way more requests for this trophy than I can make.  In fact, I never make anything exactly the same twice.   Part of the price I charge my clients is for getting a unique piece.   I am thinking of making some variations of Maleficent as I have time, like a brother or sister or father.  I think they may end up better than her in many respects.  If you are really interested I'll put you on a list and offer them to you as I finish them.   If this is something you'd like, just let me know (dan@gourmetpapermache.com).   I must also point out that these are very labor intensive.  Because of this I charge around $2000 plus shipping for a piece like Maleficent.
      Take care and thanks again for your interest.

• 7/30/2012 10:57 PM Frankie wrote:
    I would love the hang my own Maleficent dragon head in my home how can I contact you
    1. 7/30/2012 11:45 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Frankie,
       You can reach me at dan@gourmetpapermache.com.   I'm glad you like the piece.

• 8/6/2012 1:45 PM Cara wrote:
    This is absolutely fantastically awesome.
    1. 8/8/2012 8:57 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Thank you Cara.   I'm very happy that you like her.

• 8/7/2012 1:49 PM John wrote:
    Wonderful stuff! If I may ask, how did you do the lights? Did you wire your own LED circuit, or did you purchase a commercial product?
    1. 8/7/2012 3:34 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello John,
      Thanks for the compliment.    I bought some sets of lights commercially.  I think there were 20 lights connected to a battery pack.   But I cut of the battery packs and ran additional wires throughout  and added switches etc.   It wasn't too hard.
      Thanks for stopping by.

• 8/15/2012 4:45 AM Hayley wrote:
    Absolutely stunning as usual Dan. You are an inspiration
    1. 8/15/2012 9:07 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Hayley,
      Thank you for writing.  I'm very happy that you like this one.   I'll post some final photos today.

• 9/1/2012 5:42 PM Michelle white wrote:
    Hello, I am a huge malefecint fan, in fact my licensce plates say this. I just wanted to tell you how beautiful this is and so wish I could pay you to make another....

Again, beautifully done. You really made her look real and it is a beautiful tribute to Marc Davis and Disney.

Thank you for your care and time.
    1. 9/1/2012 10:58 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Michelle,
      I'm supremely flattered by your kind words.  Thank you so much for taking the time to write.   I'm always nervous about any commission.   I want them to be the best they can be.   I'm very pleased that someone like you, who "gets" Maleficent, to tell me that I captured her.   It is very much appreciated.
  • 9/11/2012 6:09 AM Liz Norris wrote:
    You know that deep breath you take in surprise? That quick, sharp inhale? When I opened your email with this dragon, it happened to me! Maleficent is my favorite Disney villain, and you have captured her so well! SO well. Not only that, but my guy and I are planning on making a huge dragon head for over his hearth - this one "alive", with broken bricks "smashing" through the wall, dragon "still on the other side!" So to see her, Maleficent, glaring in green, is fantastic! You do such great work. Love your style! And you've helped me so much to accomplish the work I want to do! Thank you for allowing us to keep up with you on this blog.
    1. 9/11/2012 8:06 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Liz,
      What a wonderful comment.  Thank you so very much for your kind words.  They mean a lot to me.  I'm happy to hear that you are making such a cool project.   I'm sure it will be wonderful.  Excellent concept.  I would love to see her when you finish.   Keep in touch.
      Good luck to you as you work.  Let me know if you think I can offer any advice.

• 9/24/2012 12:16 PM susana wrote:
    hola! quiero comprar el dragón o ayuda para hacerlo podrías darme información al respecto por favor?
    1. 9/24/2012 12:41 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hola. Lo siento, pero ya he vendido este dragón. Era una pieza comisionada.
      Gracias por su interés.

• 9/27/2012 9:57 AM Jonathan wrote:
    Hello there I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!

I just interviewed Susanne Blakeslee for an upcoming show of ours. She is the current voice of Maleficent. Would you like to stop on that same show and discuss this project for a short 10 min interview? Contact me if you do.
  • 10/12/2012 5:53 PM Lori wrote:
    How much would you charge for one of these???
    1. 10/12/2012 6:40 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Lori,
      I charged $2000 plus shipping for this piece.   I'm glad that you like her.  Thank you for writing.
  • 10/25/2012 10:24 AM Art wrote:
    Hello Kind sir, have you tried making any Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Black (or any other color) dragons?

Those look very cool and intriguing.
    I would love to buy one of those.

Keep up the good work!
    1. 10/25/2012 6:36 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Art,
      I couldn't count how many dragons I've made over the years.  I really do love them.   I will check out the magic ones.   Thank you for stopping by and the nice remarks.
  • 11/13/2012 2:49 PM Daisy Dantas wrote:
    Hello Dan, as I told you int the other message, before I met your work I didn´t like dragons but now I changed my mind ! They are very interesting and making them in paper mache must be an amazing experience. I´ll try ... at least I need to try ! Have no enough words to congrats on your art. Thank you very much for sharing and for your generosity. Best regards, Daisy
    1. 11/13/2012 3:44 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi again Daisy,
      Thank you for your kind words.  I'm happy that you like my art and that you are interested in my techniques.   I'm flattered.  Good luck on your art.
  • 11/30/2012 3:03 AM Kristen wrote:
    WOW!!! Stunning details, and *instantly recognizable as Maleficent! I mean when you look at this - the crinkles around the eyes, the shading, the plaque part for the wall - its perfectly gorgeous. A true piece of fine art. Bravo!
    1. 11/30/2012 7:51 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Thank you Kristen!  I'm really glad that you like her.   It was a challenge to make, so it's really nice when people know who she is.
      I really appreciate your nice comment.
  • 11/30/2012 2:42 PM Shaun wrote:
    You are an inspiration. I've always wanted to have a life size TRex head mounted over the fireplace, with a blowgun and dart on display beneath it!
    1. 11/30/2012 2:47 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Shaun,
      That would be a wonderful thing to have on the wall!  And it is certainly something you could make with these techniques.  Time to get at it!
      Thank you for the kind words.  They are always appreciated.

• 12/1/2012 11:23 PM Kaitlyn Mitternacht-Industries wrote:
    This is amazing! I think this is my favorite dragon trophy I've ever seen! I'd love to see more work like it.
    1. 12/1/2012 11:51 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Kaitlyn,
      I'm so glad  you like this trophy!   It means a lot to me.  Thank you for writing.
  • 12/2/2012 6:32 AM Andrea wrote:
    I love dragons and their mystical, magical appeal. I am a collector of the Disney female Evil Queens... the finer one not the everyday statues and prints. The Evil Queen and Maleficent are my concentration so when I saw this I was captivated.... Maleficent's Fiery ... it beautiful
    1. 12/2/2012 9:02 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Andrea,
      Thank you for this nice comment!  It makes it all the more flattering that you are a connoisseur of Disney and Maleficent in all of her glory.   I really appreciate you taking the time to write.

• 12/2/2012 8:15 AM Elizabeth wrote:
    This is amazing! I am obsessed with dragons. I collect them. I have over 40 different dragon items in my room. o.o I wish I could do something liek this. It's amazing!
    1. 12/2/2012 9:05 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Elizabeth,
      Thank you for your post.  I'm happy that you like Maleficent.   I totally understand the obsession with dragons.   There is just something about them.   I really appreciate you taking the time to write.
  • 12/2/2012 8:36 PM Tkrit wrote:
    Thanks for sharing this incredible piece. It is beautiful and it seems that paper mache does indeed have a high end artistic application.
    1. 12/2/2012 10:04 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Thank you Tkrit!
      I really appreciate the nice post.  It makes me happy to know that you enjoy the dragon I made.
  • 12/26/2012 3:52 AM Rachel wrote:
    Hi!

I too found you via social media when this beautiful piece went viral. Your talent lies exactly where my heart does, in dragons. You say you may create a few pieces and put them up for sale, or create commissions, is there a place where I can monitor your work? Pardon the creepy wording, just truly interested.

Thanks!
    1. 12/26/2012 2:55 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Rachel,
      My blog is really the place to monitor what I'm doing,  although when it comes to commissions you will have to contact me directly.    You can get a hold of me at dan@gourmetpapermache.com.      I am going to make some trophies soon.     I've been working on my video for a long time and just haven't had the chance to get to the pieces people want me to make.   Maybe soon though.
      Thank you for your interest.

• 1/26/2013 5:27 PM Stephan J.Smith wrote:
    This looks awesome, Dan. Love your work!
    Have your monster book and have used your technique on a couple pieces of my own, but not dragons. I did a 6 ft. long giraffe safari mount that hangs in my living room. Would love to show you pictures of it, plus a steampunk deer head I did. You're an inspiration!
    1. 1/26/2013 5:45 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Stephan,
      Nice to hear from you!  I'd love to see what you've made.   I'd love to post some photos of your projects on my site if you are interested (with any caption you'd like).  I love showing other people's art work.   If you want to do that just send photos to dan@gourmetpapermache.com.   Or if you already had them on a site I'd love to see them.
      Thanks for the kind words.  They mean a lot to me.  I'm really flattered when I hear that my work inspires someone.  Nothing better.
      Thanks again for making contact
  • 2/26/2013 9:29 AM mark wrote:
    i goth your book papier mache monsters and im excited to start, my question is were do you buy you glass or acrylic eyes.
    1. 2/26/2013 9:54 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Mark,
      I get my eyes from taxidermy companies.  If you Google "glass eyes taxidermy" you'll find them all.  Van Dyke's has the biggest selection.
      Good luck!

• 3/1/2013 7:51 PM Jennifer Ferrell wrote:
    This is so magnificent! Such an amazing piece of art! Bravo!!!
    Kindest regards,
    Jennifer
    1. 3/1/2013 8:20 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Jennifer.
      For some reason I missed this comment.  Thank you so much for your kind words.   I really appreciate it.
  • 3/4/2013 7:47 PM Pauline Williams wrote:
    I received your book 'dragon makers handbook' today, thank you so much for signing it, a very pleasant surprise
    1. 3/5/2013 7:37 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Pauline,
      Glad you got the book.  Good luck to you!
  • 3/7/2013 6:00 AM Nick wrote:
    Amazing!! You didn't happen to make a video of this commission?
    1. 3/7/2013 7:45 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Nick.
      Thank you!   No, I didn't make a video of this commission, but the techniques I used were very similar to what I did on my other trophy video.
      1. 3/7/2013 4:58 PM Nick wrote:
        I happen to work with this particular dragon here on the east coast and I will say your work/passion has inspired me to try and recreate it so that others I work with would also be inspired.
        1. 3/7/2013 10:35 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
          Well thank you Nick!  I'm very flattered!  Good luck to you!
  • 3/8/2013 3:39 PM lori mckinzie wrote:
    oh my gosh this is amazing !!! My autistic son who loves dragons had a fit when he saw this and started yelling disney dragon for my room...how do I get one of these and how much
    1. 3/8/2013 3:53 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Lori,
      Actually I made this for a commission that fell through.   He lived in France and didn't want to pay for shipping.  But it is expensive, $2000 plus shipping.   These are very labor intensive.   Regardless, I'm happy that you like her.

• 3/26/2013 8:50 PM JollyJess wrote:
    Take my money!
    1. 3/27/2013 9:07 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Jess,
      You are too funny!   Just use Paypal!
      I am currently making one of her relatives.

• 4/19/2013 2:02 PM shannon miller wrote:
    Absolutely gorgeous. Definitley subscribing to the blog and cannot wait to see more of your creations! I may try to make one myself, you have inspired me
    1. 4/19/2013 3:34 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Shannon,
      I'm so happy you like her.   Definitely, give it a try.  I think you'll enjoy this medium.

• 5/1/2013 1:36 PM Doug The Dragon wrote:
    Wow totally fantastic work. Makes me want to try my hand at it. where can you find the books and videos
    1. 5/1/2013 2:44 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Doug,
      Thank you for your nice comment.   Well, anyone who goes by "Doug the Dragon" has to make dragons, right?    You can see my videos and my books on my site, http://www.GourmetPaperMache.com.
      Thank you for stopping by.

• 5/1/2013 4:31 PM Tami wrote:
    Is there a web site where i can buy this from? thanks
    1. 5/1/2013 8:00 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Tami,
      You can contact me at dan@gourmetpapermache.com if you are interested in commissions of any sort.
  • 5/1/2013 8:36 PM Amatheiya wrote:
    Thank you. Your videos are captivating, informative and funny. I know I already left a comment saying as much on youtube, I didn't read this page fully first. If I could afford it I'd buy this for my older sister. She loves Maleficent. However since I can't, I will simply have to learn how to create paper mache art, where to find and how to best incorporate good LED's, then create... well, not that dragon. I'm not that skilled. Besides, I'd prefer to create my own dragon. More freedom that way. What would really be great is more of your instructional videos. I realize you are busy, I understand. I just didn't know anything at all about paper mache until I ran across this site, and if I can learn all the basics from your instructions, this could become a fun hobby to do with the kids, especially when we're stuck at home surrounded by snow. Again, Thank You. For making learning fun.
    ~Ama
    1. 5/1/2013 8:51 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Ama,
      Thank you for your kind remarks.   I really am about trying to get people to do this art form.  There are limitless possibilities.    You should give it a try.   I've always said that the first project is about learning the techniques.  The second project will be your pride and joy.  You are right, it is much more satisfying to make your own design.   So go for it!  Seriously.

• 6/23/2013 11:34 PM Kathryn wrote:
    I love and hate how this dragon head is a one of a kind piece of art. Yes, it is unique, but I want a Maleficient head SO bad it hurts! I was heart broken when I found out you won't be making another one.
    1. 7/4/2013 10:13 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Kathryn,
      I'm amazed at the response that project got.   As you know, having something unique is what my customer is paying for.   I could have sold that project many times over.  But hers would be worth less I think.   For what it's worth, I'm making (well, it's in the queue) a "relative" of Malecifent, a father or brother.   Just for fun.   It will have red lights and be a bit more menacing.  I don't think it would satisfy the Disney fans.  It just isn't Malecifent from the movie.  But it will be a fun trophy nonetheless.     I'll post something here as I work.
      Thank you for your enthusiastic response to Malecifent.
  • 9/9/2013 12:01 PM Dominique wrote:
    Hi!
    I loved you milificent dragon and I wanted to give it a shot myself for Halloween decorations. I wanted to know if you have a video tutorial of how you made her?? I am totally overwhelmed and a tutorial would be super helpful if possible!
    1. 9/9/2013 12:49 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Dominique,
      That was a commissioned piece.   I'm sorry but I did not film the making of that project.

• 9/9/2013 8:06 PM jim wrote:
    I MUST HAVE!
    1. 9/9/2013 8:21 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Jim,
      Sorry, this one has been sold.  It was a commission.   Thank you for your enthusiastic endorsement!

• 9/10/2013 10:33 AM nicola wrote:
    wonderful work
    Im intersted in a dragons head as a gift idea- can you contact me
  • 9/10/2013 10:52 AM Suzanne wrote:
    I would love to find out more about commissioning a piece. The look of this is so awesome.
    Thank you fro your artistry.
  • 9/26/2013 10:13 PM Kelley wrote:
    Omg I would love to have something like this in my game room can u contact me about ur prices
  • 10/1/2013 1:15 PM Linda Scott wrote:
    I love your dragon and would like to get one for my autistic grandson. He loves dragons and just got his first very own bedroom.
    1. 10/1/2013 3:02 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Linda,
      Thank you for your interest.  I'm sorry but I don't have anything at the moment like this to sell.   I can put you on a list and let you know when I have something available.   This was a commissioned piece.  I never make the same sculpture a second time.   I plan on making some trophies soon, but they will not be the same as this one.
      Sorry about that.
  • 11/22/2013 1:57 AM Daniel wrote:
    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!! LOL!!! I love it. let me know when you have something available to purchase.
    1. 11/22/2013 9:43 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Thank you Daniel.  I will.
  • 1/12/2014 10:28 PM Krystofer wrote:
    Exceptional Work! Incredible eye for detail and the craftsmanship is exquisite. I do gourmet paper mache for several theatres I produce and direct for....my fireplaces are soooo much fun.
    Then after the PM cures, the painting begins! Love the art and IT IS....I can't wait to see more of your work....and did I read correctly, you do commission work? HAY!!!!! CHEERS!!!!
    1. 1/12/2014 11:26 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Krystofer,
      It's always nice to meet another artist.  Thank you for your nice comment.   I'm very flattered.  Good luck on your projects!

• 1/19/2014 1:39 AM Mike Murphy wrote:
    Hi! I just finished reading your books on Monsters and Dragons, I think I've seen all of your tutorials, and I'm looking forward to making a dragon or bat to start, but I seem to have overlooked something: Do you have a tutorial or detailed instructions on setting up lights, battery and/or 110 VAC? Maybe for setting up a fan, to create a wagging tongue? Thanks!
    1. 1/19/2014 10:05 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Mike,
      I'm glad you like that art.  I'm sorry, but I haven't detailed the lights anywhere.  I've only made two projects with lights.   The Maleficent project was a commission and he wanted it to look like the cartoon.  That's why I used the lights.   It was so popular so I made the Son of Maleficent with lights as well.   But that's it.    It just isn't really part of what I do regularly.  That's also true with articulation and mechanical features.  I've never done anything with a motor.   The lights are fairly easy.  You just have to add wire to extend where they go.   Just thin wire and a soldering gun is all you need.   For motors....I think you'll have to be the ground-breaker there.
      Good luck with your projects.    I'm sure you will have some fun.