Paper Mache Dragon Marionette- head

Hey there,
Well, I'll try to move this along a little faster now that the video is published.   As I was putting this post together I realized that the "Rum and Paper Mache" video is actually a better tool for showing how I made this marionette than these blog posts.     Perhaps some of you noticed, the time-lapse (building) part of the video is a little slower than usual.   That's because the video was much longer than usual.   That's because I was not allowed to alter the music as part of the license agreement (totally understandable).     So the build was a little slower and therefore much easier to follow.   If you really do want to know how I made these puppets just watch the video closely.  It's all there.

Anyway, here is what I did next.   For some reason I decided to put the head on last.  I don't know why.   I cut open the last segment of the body and pulled out the wad of paper.  I stuck the jaws into the hole and taped them.

Then I used hot glue to attach the eyes.  I crumpled paper and used masking tape to build cheeks and brows and a nose.    I cut holes for nostrils and ears.    I added ears.  These are basically little wings.  I added Fimo horns along the nose and above the eyes.  Again, the video shows these steps very clearly along with the addition of the "cloth mache" pictured below.

I added the cloth mache.  I made two tongues, one that would stick straight out, and one that was bent (like it would be after a few drinks).  They were long and I just pushed each one into the back of the neck as I needed them.  I decided to add more horns on the jowls and the chin.

I finished adding the cloth mache to the rest of the head.   I also put a few small scales on the nose.    Likewise, I added scales over the rest of the dragon's body.  Yes, this takes a lot of time.   But it is worth it I think.

Finally, what would be a post without my assistant, Eddie.   Here he is with the dragon...

...and trying out some of the furniture.  He liked the couch because it was soft.  He thinks I got it for him.  Same with the grandfather clock although he only knows "breakfast" and "dinner" when it comes to time.   This brings up something interesting.  I bought this furniture online.  They are for dolls.   I got the one on the left because it looked really used, I mean used like you'd see at your grandmother's house.  It was threadbare in places, stained, and just looked old.  Now here's my question to you all.  How do DOLLS wear out doll furniture?  Do they spill their drinks?   How does doll furniture get used enough to be threadbare? Personally,  I think it's evidence that dolls party at night.

Thank you for your patience!   Next I'll talk about painting.  See you then.

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 1/9/2013 1:19 PM Anonymous wrote:
    The dolls wear out the furniture the same way as a marionette. You have created some pretty wild puppets!
    From the looks of things, that furniture is going to get even more worn out! (not by the cat either, so Please don't blame poor Eddie!)

That video is so funny! It reminds me of two old relatives I know.

Once again, your work is amazing!
    Lori
    1. 1/9/2013 2:10 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Lori,
      'Thank you!   You are too funny!  I think the couple just went to sleep.  I'm glad you liked the video.

• 1/9/2013 2:23 PM candy wrote:
    Dan, I loved the monsters before but I must say the jointed marionette monster are really taking them to the next level, they live! I love movement and art and this suffices for both. Thank you for continuing to share your talent with everyone. It Always Makes Me Smile! That is a gift.
    1. 1/9/2013 2:35 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      I'm glad you like the marionettes.   I'm not a puppeteer but I did enjoy teaching this guys to dance.  My wife doesn't know this yet, but I actually bought the rights to another song to use at a future date (she would kill me if I did this again soon) with another group of marionettes.  But first I have to finish a number of projects I've been putting off.  That video took me six months to make!   Way longer than I anticipated (story of my life).   I'm glad you liked it.  Comments like yours made it worth while.
      Take care
  • 1/9/2013 2:59 PM Connie wrote:
    I lenjoyed reading your post AND watching the video. Your creativity is inspiring!
    1. 1/9/2013 3:02 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Thank you Connie!  I'm happy you liked them both.  Makes it worthwhile.
      Take care
  • 1/9/2013 5:07 PM Jeremy Warren wrote:
    It's a great how-to video and I love the music. Glad to hear you already have another video working in your mind. I still find myself watching it every couple of days and looking at the production shots as much as the dancing shots. The stills on here are great as well. Again, thanks for sharing your art and knowledge.

I love the passage of time on the clock. 'Well, it's three o'clock...time to get the dragon.' Nine hours later he's still up for a party. That's what you get with dragons.
    1. 1/9/2013 5:16 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      I've said it before, that's high praise from another marionette maker.  I'm still learning, that's for sure.   I learned a great deal about controls and harmonics and just good articulation.
      I'm glad you found it helpful.
      Talk to you later.

• 1/9/2013 6:04 PM Stella wrote:
    Aww, they both have such cute little faces...

I love the eyes on this dragon - they're such a beautiful colour. Did you make them, or are they taxidermy eyes?
  • 1/10/2013 1:34 AM Carol wrote:
    So loving these insights into your marionettes. The video is delightful and I'm enjoying re-watching over and over. The dragon is absolutely charming, congratulations Dan, six months really well spent.
    1. 1/10/2013 8:01 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi again Carol,
      Glad you liked it.  Once it was over I had to admit that it was a strange compulsion that made me spend six months on it.  But part of it was just learning curves.  Once I made the marionettes I knew I had to figure out how to control all three of them at the same time (well enough to put on a video).   And I had to find the stuff for the set.   And then I decided to buy an Apple computer and use imovie.  Wow, what a great program.  It's very intuitive, but it still took a while to get down.   Of course now I have some skills that I didn't have and nothing to do with them.   Hmmmm (don't tell Julie (my wife who got pretty sick of that music)(it became the stuff of earworms) but I've already tracked down and bought the rights to another song)(I'm just going to put it on the side for a while and think about it.  But I kind of have the bug to try another, little bit tighter video with marionettes).   For now, it's off to make a few projects I've put off for six months.
      Always nice to hear from you Carol.
  • 1/10/2013 10:24 AM Dee Marcellus Cole wrote:
    Nice to see Eddie He gives scale to the photos. Your video was great. Where do you plan to market the video? dee
    1. 1/10/2013 11:14 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Dee,
      Thanks for the nice note.   I don't really market my videos.  I have this one on Youtube and Facebook.    I could be a partner on Youtube and monetize my videos (anyone can do this if you have over 100,000 views on all of your videos combined.   I have 1.6 million or so).   But I have to say,  I really hate ads on videos.   I hate the ones that play before, I hate the ones that push up in front of a video that's playing (that you have to x out to see the whole video).   As a partner you get paid a miniscule amount anytime someone follows the link.  How much they pay per click is top secret, but as you might guess, it's a really small amount.  So if you had a viral video you stand to make some money.    To me, it means you annoy millions to get a few bucks.    I know you didn't ask for a treatise on marketing videos.  But now that I've written this I'm going to post it anyway.   Maybe others have an opinion about this.   I've been known to be wrong.
      Anyway, thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to write.
  • 1/10/2013 12:35 PM Suz wrote:
    That is a good Point, dolls must party at night to wear out furniture! Eddy looks like he's asking if he can have it after you are done playing with it! I reckon the marionettes are sitting in them now though, especially after that party...When I saw all the scales I thought wow, that's a lot of work there, A LOT!! Sooo, you are up to doing more marionettes eh? Glutton for punishment, but they are definitely absolutely outrageous and will look forward to when you get time to do those. I certainly appreciate you not having the ads, but with the amount of work you do on these, I would gladly wait/wade thru them for you, I wish you could do something to make alot of money from these as you soooo deserve it!
    1. 1/10/2013 12:48 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Suz,
       Don't get wrong, the videos serve an economic purpose.  First, since Google owns Youtube, they help my status on the search engine.   The goal of course is to have my site on page one when someone searches "paper mache".   So the videos drive people to my site and Google lists me on page one so people get to my site where I sell books and generate interest in commissions.  It's all good.

I'm glad you like the video.   Don't hold your breath on the next marionette video.   I'm just securing the rights so I have them when I decide to do it.  Now that I've finally developed some skill with marionettes I'd like to try again at some point.  It certainly wouldn't be the same.  I have something in mind that might be kind of fun.  But first I have a bunch of other projects in the works.
      Thank you Suz.  Talk to you later.

1. 1/10/2013 8:15 PM Suz wrote:
        I'm glad you are happy with the situation then, cause we sure appreciate all you do!! I'm sure you have plenty on your plate as usual, we will certainly just wait for it! Meantime seeing what ever is up your sleeve now.. Thanks Dan!
  • 1/17/2013 11:06 AM Jennifer K wrote:
    WOW!!!! JUST WOW!!! Great video, you are amazing!!
    1. 1/17/2013 11:26 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Jennifer,
      Thank you so much!!   I really appreciate the enthusiastic comment!  Makes my day.
      1. 1/18/2013 12:47 PM Jennifer K wrote:
        I meant to comment on how handsome Eddie is too
        1. 1/18/2013 4:00 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
          Hi again Jennifer.
          I'm glad you find Eddie handsome.  He certainly is.  I'll past that on to him.  He will like it.
          Take care

• 2/6/2013 11:04 AM Jacqueline wrote:
    hi Dan just found your wonderful website and your Art. great! as i am in midst of art & design component of creative textiles course in UK, building a 3D object from 2D paper base made me look to papier mache rather than origamie ) your site is inspiring and i'm going to set aside some time to watch your videos. its wonderful that you share these techniques. thank you. Jacqueline
    1. 2/7/2013 7:51 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Jacqueline,
      What a nice note!  Thank you so much for writing.  Your course sounds intriguing,   Lucky students.   I hope my videos are at least fun to watch.   Good luck!
  • 12/2/2013 8:05 PM Dominique Williams wrote:
    Dan these maches are some of the most unique I've seen thus far. I myself indulge in the arts of the paper mache just good to see more examples and how even you can really express your self through such creations. Also the heads on the dragon are so defined almost life like.
    1. 12/2/2013 8:33 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Dominique,
      Thank you for the nice comment!  I'm very happy you like the work.  I appreciate you taking the time to write!