Hi all. The fun begins when the paper mache pieces are ready for assembly. I want to emphasize here that, at all stages, everything is subject to change. That is what I mean when I say that paper mache is “forgiving.” I am not afraid to completely revamp anything I don’t like.
First, I really want these heads to be stable against the wall (actually it will be a large plaque I made out of walnut wood….more about that later) so I cut pieces of 1 inch pine boards to fit the back of the necks. I used screws to hold the necks to the boards (and yes, screws into the paper mache works well). I also drilled holes at an angle in the wood backings. That allows me to hang the trophies on the wall over a long screw driven into the wall at about the same angle (as what I drilled in the pine backing). I hope this makes sense. It sounds a little convoluted.
Then it was time to start putting the heads where I want them relative to each other on the wall. So I drove screws into the wall and hung the necks.
Below is the bottom row of necks in roughly the positions I wanted. Now I know some of you have eagle eyes and you will notice the neck on the left, the one with the piece of wood sticking out. This is the neck of the black dragon, the one with the long, curved steer-like horns. Because of the torque involved with those long horns wanted to be sure there was sufficient support to hold them up. So I added pieces of pine inside the neck (from the pine backing to the place where the horns will be) for additional support. And yes, you see a few pieces of clothes hanger sticking out of the necks as well. I buried those inside the necks for extra support.
One by one I started adding the jaws, upper and lower, to the ends of the necks. This is the red dragon with jaws attached. Note that I added the tongue as well. That is connected to the back of the lower jaw.
Next, the upper jaw of the black dragon. I know it doesn’t sound right when I say “upper jaw.” It’s really the rudimentary upper part of the head.
I added the other two necks to the array on the wall, as well as the rest of the jaws. This is pretty close to the layout I want. Pretty close. Again, I will change it up slightly as I move along. But this gives you a sense about how the heads will look together.
Just a different angle.
Once I established the overall look, it was time to start building each individual head. I started with the red dragon. Here is the very beginning of that dragon, with the two long horns installed.
Next time …more sculpting of each head. Thanks for stopping by!