First, the painting.
Painting this project was a lot more challenging than most. Because the paint does not easily come off the resin horns and eyes I had to take care from the beginning not to splatter paint everywhere. My “fast and furious” method of painting became slow and laborious. Don’t get me wrong, I took this as a challenge and enjoyed every minute of it.
First I carefully painted between all the horns. Then around the eyes.
On the main part of the trophy I painted first with dark blue, then while it was still wet I added some white to get a lighter shade on the scales.
Of course after the initial painting dried, I “blackwashed” the project. This is where many people who use my techniques hesitate. They fall in love with the bright colors and they don’t want to “ruin” the piece.
But it never does. It accentuates the detail and makes the colors pop even more.
As I did with the mouth, I added glitter over the entire project. I wanted it to look frosted. It’s an ice dragon after all. Still, it was risky. But I have to say that I’m very happy with the way it turned out.
I’ll add some final photos in the next post.
P.S. I must give a shout out to my little “helper” Maisie! How could I work without her encouragement. (Abbie doesn’t care about my projects, but she’ll stop by to say “hi” once in a while.)
Thanks for stopping by!