Ice Dragon – Details
Happy New Year to you all!
I know I haven’t posted for a while, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been working. There are parts of this project that just take a lot of time. For example, I left you last time having just finished adding all of the horns. There were a lot of them. I added cloth mache in between all of those horns.
I had to be more careful than usual because I didn’t want to get too much glue on the resin horns. It was difficult cleaning the glue off the horns once I was finished. This took a few days.
I added two rows of “frills” (not sure what else to call them…sort of a webbed mane I guess) on the top of the neck. I twisted some newspaper around pieces of wire clothes hanger and wrapped them with masking tape to make the spines.
After arranging them on the neck I draped wet cloth between them.
After the cloth dried I trimmed them using scissors and an Exacto knife. I added some holes to give a more “dead-like” appearance.
Maisie wanted to see what I was doing so I moved her cat post close to the action.
I also wanted some tattered shreds of skin (or something) under the chin and neck. I just cut some shapes out of the cloth. I painted them before hot gluing them under the neck.
I decided rather than using the triangular scales I usually make to just add some plate-like shapes on the neck and head. I did this using “paper clay”. There are many recipes for paper clay online. I just mix some toilet paper, Elmer’s glue, and commercial “Celluclay” together into a kind of thick dough.
Then I tear off blobs of the clay and press them onto the dragon.
With that I have finished the sculpting. I think I’m happy with the result. Here are photos of the project with the lights off …
…and with them on.
Next….painting! Thanks for stopping by!