Paper Mache Dragon-like Cat- finished!

Hey everyone.  Well, it’s time to finish this series of posts.  I know that you know that the project is already finished.   So these posts needs to catch up.   If you don’t care about process, just hop to the bottom of the page and check out the video.  I provided a link to the Facebook upload and  another to Youtube (in case you hate Facebook with its evil, sneaky, non-private privacy policies).    I appreciate your patience.  I was busy finishing my latest dragons at the same time I was making this.

We left of with a masking tape face.   So I added the cloth mache to the rest of the project.

cloth mache face -small

Then I did the initial paint job.  I have to admit, I wanted it to be a little “Eddie-like” in the color scheme.

paper mache cat paint- small

As always, I “ruin” the paint job by blackwashing.

And then fixed it again with a lot of dry brushing.

paper mache cat touch up2- small paper mache cat -touch up -small

I added some detail painting on the nose, around the eyes and lips.   Usually I wait until the project is finished to scrape the eyes.  But I decided to do it a little early this time.

paper mache cat paint nose -small paper mache cat scrape eyes two-small

Mazzy was obsessed with this project, particularly the ears.  She kept chewing on them!   Abby did it too, but just once.  So strange.

mazzy and cat dragon -small

I added whiskers to fill out the thin face.   I hot glued clumps of bristles from cheap paint brushes on the jowls and to the ends of the ears and the tail.

paper mache cat whiskers -small

I like the little tuft on the tail.

paper mache cat tail -small

Finally I added some clear casting resin to the mouth just to make it shinier.

Had to get a shot of Abby with the project as well.   Otherwise she would be jealous of Mazzy.   Isn’t she cute (and hasn’t she grown?  They grow up so fast.  She’ll be ready for college soon.)?

I’m pleased with the finished face.   I have gotten quite a few comments about this project being “creepy”, even “uber creepy”.   I don’t see it.  But that’s okay.  I was going for wild because of the “feral” theme.  But creepy is okay.  Some people see all clowns as creepy too.   (Of course they ARE creepy)(then again, I thought Barney the dinosaur was creepy)

paper mache cat finished close up -small

And it’s very lanky, the dragon part.  Some people said that it didn’t look like a cat because of that.   All I can say is that it’s not actually a cat.   It’s a cat-like dragon or a dragon-like cat kind of thing.   And of course it is not actually real.  It is ART.

paper mache cat finished 2 -small

The video will give you a better idea of the project.

I’ll be back with something else soon.

Make art!

Video on Youtube

The video on Facebook.

About danmonsterman

I've been a paper mache artist for many years. Visit my website for instructional videos, galleries, and everything else paper mache. Or visit my WebPress blog, PaperMacheBlog.com.
This entry was posted in Paper Mache Dragon-like Cat and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Paper Mache Dragon-like Cat- finished!

1. Michael Murphy says:

Cool!

2. Martina says:

I don’t find your cat dragon to be creepy at all…I think he/she is awesome…nice job Dan! Eddie would be proud…:)

3. Jack O. Summers says:

Another GREAT work !!!

4. cloudyk says:

Fantastic! So very cool! Catharine Kennedy

Sent from my iPad

5. orianamoon says:

Perfect combination of cat and dragon! Love it.

6. Pamela Wilson says:

I love your sculpture! You have inspired me to make several pieces myself (not dragons).
    Now I’m “feeling the need” to make a few more pieces — only have one left. My main problem is finding a source for wonder eyes like those you use. Are you using taxidermy eyes or are you making your own?
    Thanks again for all the inspiration.

• Thanks Pamela! I buy my eyes online from taxidermy companies. You can buy “blanks” from them as well so you can paint your own. I alter them sometimes with a Drummel tool. Good luck!

• Pamela Wilson says:

I love sculpture and working with paper. Even though I don’t have my two cat assistants any more, I now have two terriers that are “raring to” get started. I’ll have to check out some sources for eyes and get started again.

Thanks again for you information and inspiration.

7. Sharon Hastings says:

I really like the way you made the cat dragon. He,she looks sweet. I do prefer your dragons but know it’s nice to try something different once in awhile.

8. Lori says:

Great job as usual! I always love all your creations.
    Adorable kitty cats, too. I think they approve of your new addition!

Take care,
    Lori

9. Cath says:

A sabre tooth dragon, your cat seems to approve.😊

10. Janice says:

Absolutely fantastic as your creations always are!

11. Julia says:

Another wonderful creation! Beautiful. I love the finished colours too! And your feline pals obviously approve. ❤

12. solitaire777 says:

Hi Dan, fab work as always! Your furbabies chewed on his ears cos they were trying to get him to play…lol. Either that or they liked him a bit too much, if you get my meaning…wink. They are growing girls after all…hahaha. Your creations are brilliant! He’s a very handsome wee fellow. Can’t wait to see what gem of a surprise you have up your sleeve. ❤

13. AnnaMaria Picinich says:

Barney was definitely creepy!

14. Jennifer Bowers says:

Thanks for the update on a great finished project. It is purrrrfect. I love the tufts of hair and I’ll try using cheap paint brush bristles for one of my upcoming projects.

15. Cynthia Meadows says:

Love it! I always look forward to your next creation!

16. twodivasrus@yahoo.com says:

I love it

Sent from my iPhone

17. Carol says:

Hey Dan, congrats on another extraordinary piece of art. I had to smile when you pointed out that it isn’t real! But it is real art. Can’t see that it’s creepy, but I guess creepiness is in the eye of the beholder, huh? Well done! Now I’m going to enjoy the video. Carol

18. Ralph Simpson says:

You’re an absolute master sculpter, love it. Abby is beautiful.

19. Jan Singleton says:

Really love this dragon cat … fabulous face … you are very talented and I love seeing your work.

20. Barbara Sutton says:

WOW! Another great paper mache. Thanks for sharing!