Paper Mache Drogon – Young Adult Version

Okay, so I’m back to making art.   I have to say that my cats are thoroughly enjoying their new outdoor habitat.   It was well worth taking the time from my art to make their “catio”.  Thank you for being patient, those of you that were patient.   After making my paper mache dog I realized that I needed to make some more non-dragon projects.   So what did I do?  I launched into four, yes four, dragon projects, and one non-dragon project.   I just can’t help it.   The more I tried to think outside the dragon box, the more ideas I got for new dragons.   I’m keeping one of those projects very close to the vest because I think it will be my best dragon ever.  Ever.  But it could fail utterly as well.   I will surprise you at some point with a post about that project (or you’ll never hear about it because it will be buried in my back yard).   I think I’m obsessed with dragons even more than usual because, as I’ve mentioned before,  I’m revising my dragon-making book.   So it’s on my mind.   (BTW, I intend to have that finished by the end of summer.)(I think my dragons have gotten better since the first book.   Time to share what I’ve learned.)  I’ve wrestled with what project to profile here.    I decided on my latest iteration of Drogon from Game of Thrones.   As you’ll find on this blog, I made him as a newly hatched baby (along with his egg), and again as a juvenile.    The juvenile was a full sized version of him.   After this last season it’s time to revisit him as a young adult, as he was portrayed this last season on the TV series.   For obvious reasons I decided not to make the full body version.  Just too big.   A trophy will have to do.

This is kind of funny.    I was grabbing a stack of newspaper to start these projects, and this one was in the stack.   This is a very old copy of the Life section of a USA Today newspaper.   It’s from November 1984.  You can barely see it in the left column but there is the article about my first book, The Simple Screamer.   That was a very fortunate event.   It helped launch my book nationally.   Just had to share.   I decided not to use this section.   I’ll file it somewhere for posterity (look how well that worked for me last time!)

USA today article about my paper mache book.

No one who watches my blog needs to see me crumple the paper or add the paper mache.  So I’ll skip that.   In this case I’ll use some of the paper mache balls and pieces I have laying around my studio.   I’ll make the jaws by cutting open two different size balls and taping them together.

paper mache ball cut in two pieces  second paper mache ball for jaw

As you can see, one of them is more pointed, the other more spherical.   Putting them together gives me the triangular shape of Drogon’s jaws.   In the TV series Drogon has many small teeth, as opposed to many dragons with large teeth.   So I used a pile of small polymer clay that teeth I had.   I hot glued these onto the paper mache jaws.

putting the paper mache shells together  hot glue teeth onto paper mache shell

I think it’s kind of a cool look.   As you know I like to cloth mache and paint the jaws before assembling the head.   This took a bit of patience.  Sooo many teeth!  As usual I applied small strips of cloth in a criss-cross fashion around each tooth.   Folding the cloth first makes a gum line around each tooth.

teeth in paper mache jaws  cloth mache teeth in jaws

After wrapping each tooth I always add a large piece of cloth in the middle.  I’m always amazed by how well that works for the inside of a mouth.   You get very natural looking wrinkles that way, and it adds a great deal of strength to the jaws as well.  This is especially important if you are making a trophy.

cloth mache inside the dragon jaws  finished paper mache Drogon jaw
That’s it for now.  I’ll be back soon.
See you.  Make art!

About danmonsterman

I've been a paper mache artist for many years. Visit my website for instructional videos, galleries, and everything else paper mache. Or visit my WebPress blog, PaperMacheBlog.com.
This entry was posted in Paper Mache Drogon - Young Adult and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Paper Mache Drogon – Young Adult Version

1. Will we eventually get to see the finished project? Jeez, now I have to follow just to see it! Probably your evil plan all along.

Cool idea for a blog to make paper mache stuff. I’m new to blogging myself, feel free to stop by at

• Yes, of course you will see it. Actually, this time I’m posting real time. what you see is as far as I’ve gotten. I’m working on several projects at the same time. But I’ll have another post very soon. I owe it to all you nice people who followed me to this new blog site.
      See you soon

• Thank you bookshelfbattle (sorry, I couldn’t find your name on your blog). Good luck with your blog!

2. juan beltran says:

hola dan ya estoy aqui contigo en tu nuevo blog un saludo desde españa y animo amigo

3. Stella says:

Just think of all the people you will have inspired since 1984.

• It is nice to know that many people gave paper mache a try after seeing something I made. Very gratifying. You are doing the same thing with your blog and your art. Thank you for what you do too.

4. juanbeltran says:

muy bonito el dragon dan felicidades por el trabajo

5. Pattie G says:

I just LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your work. I have been following you for a few years now. I have all your books. Afraid to take that final step and make something ugly. Do you have any video on how to step by step of the folding of the scales for dragons fish etc. I have all you books but would love a how to video on the scales.

• Hello Pattie. Thanks for the nice remarks. I thought I explained scales pretty well in my books. But I understand, seeing it on video is different. I’ll try to get a better shot of the folding on a future video at least. I think once you make one you will see how easy it is. Start a project. Just put it on your calendar. You will love it. I promise.

6. glofirebug says:

How do you mount the neck to the plaque? I see you then cover it with tape while you’re adding the cloth. Then you hang it while putting the jaws on, etc. since you cut off the end and pulled out the paper, I couldn’t see or didn’t see how you got it to stay? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Since you keep the wood background showing.
    Thank you ever so much!
    Gloria

7. cindypryma says:

Well I have to say that I am impressed with the ease in which you put things together. This of course alerts me to the issue that the easier it looks the harder it is to do!!! Do you always use the flour/water paste and how is the outdoor sculpture going, still firmly held together?? Awesome work and thank you so much for sharing, Cindy.

• Hello Cindy. Thank you for your post. It’s difficult to know how “hard” it is. The videos make the process look easy. But it does take a lot of time and effort to make these. But I enjoy the work so I don’t mind. The outdoor dragon is still doing very well. I’m quite surprised. He has to last now because he has become a landmark where I live. The kids in particular love him. They demand to walk by him on the way to school etc. It’s been a lot of fun.

8. Stevo32 says:

Hi Dan. I hav estumbled across your site while hunting for info to help me with my sons halloween costume. I must say.. Amazing work. I especially love the ‘Dark Butterfly’ piece.
    This (to quote Bob Ross) “Happy Accident” has prompted me to try my hand at Mache, but I was wondering 2 things and am hoping you can help..
    1- as Cindy above asked.. Is it the flourand water paste that you use?.. I did see on a blog that you mentioned that it’s just PVA glue that you use with the fabric portions of your work, but no mention of the paste for the actual Paper mache…
    2- You always seem to do a black wash over your pieces.. Is this just a watered down acrylic paint, or do you use something else?

I am hoping that you can help me with this whilst I await your Dragon-Makers Handbook ..(on my Xmas list but I may have to order it early)
    Thanks in advance..
    And again.. Amazing… Just Amazing.

• Hello Steve. Nice to meet you. I’m very happy you like what you see here. Paper mache is a great medium. I just use cheap white flour and water for my paper mache paste. People have all kinds of recipes, but this is the easiest one. Make it the consistency of a thick soup (but it’s a preference. The consistency changes as you work anyway). I use white glue for the “cloth mache” skin. The blackwash is just black paint with water added. Nothing special. I use “all purpose” paint. Anything will work but you don’t really want oil based. Good luck!

9. Stevo32 says:

Thanks Dan.
    I must admit… I am very nervous about trying this because I have the tendancy to give up if its not working.. I’ll be sure to let you know how I get on.
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    =]

• That’s the thing about this medium. It’s forgiving. If you don’t like something you can change it. But I suggest you try something that doesn’t invite comparison like a monster or a dragon. No one can say that the horn is in the wrong place! Then let it evolve a bit on its own. Let the project surprise you. If you can do that, you’ll be amazed at how well everything will turn out. Just give it a go!

10. Jan Robinson says:

I just discovered one of your videos on Facebook today. Took me back to the mid 1990s when I came across a Screamers book. Today I googled you and made the connection! Your mache is AWESOME. That first Screamer book was given to me when I was a high school art teacher in a small town in southern Alberta, Canada in the mid ’90s. I was so inspired, that I taught the process to over 85 students one year. You should have seen the mache everywhere – the janitors did not like me that year!

The results were so good that I put them in an empty store front window in the local mall. {Sadly, I do not have any photos.} The school was unindated with phone calls, asking if they were for sale. I know of one student who, 20 years later, still has his creature from our art class.

I found your web site and just wanted to thank you! I recently retired and after watching several of your videos today, have decided to create some creatures this winter. My original choice had been to start getting back into art by doing some watercolors, but you have sparked my original passion for your twisted and beautiful creatures. I have 3 young grandchildren who would probably freak to each receive one from Nana as a ‘pet’.

Again, thank you Dan! You were my artist hero in the ’90s and I am happy to find you again, still creating your wondrous mache marvels. As soon as I finish this, I am going to go find my original Screamers book. I know I still have it somewhere.

• Hello Jan. So you are an old timer like me. I retired from teaching after 40 years a couple years ago. Just doing art now. You are a saint for doing paper mache with the kids. I know how hard a job that is. But they will remember it forever. Thanks for the nice note. Hard to believe that this is the 30 year anniversary of my Screamer book.

11. riverdump says:

You are wonderful for posting this stuff
    I love your work

12. Linda says:

I just love your videos. Thank you for taking the time to show us. I’m totally going to try to make one. My question to you is, where do you get or make the eyes?

13. lisaclown says:

I loved watching your progress. I’m chuckling at the headline on your mache newspaper about Phil Donohue! Is he still alive?

• Hi Lisa. I don’t know about Phil. But I put that there because it was from a USA Today newspaper that had a little article about my first book. If you look carefully you can see a little red “Screamer”. That little article launched my book sales nationwide.

14. tamarasreyna says:

You EXCITE me! I’ve recently discovered your work, your website, and finally your blog. You have inspired me to start 2 diffenent pieces. I’ll be sure and send pictures when I’m done. I have been mulling over in my mind (for far to long)how to go about making my paper sculpters. After my discovery of you and your work I have finally started. Sometimes I spend for to long thinking for fear of failure. The other day I told myself, “self, art is suppose to be fun. Art should never be fear. What the hell are you thinking so much for self…just dive in and do it. damn the fear and do it afraid if you have to “.Once I ever start anything the fear dissappears and the rush of creating takes over. So in closing I just want to thank you for sharing a part of yourself and your work and, to let you know you have inspired me and, Thanks for exciting me.

• Hello Tamara. Glad to hear that you are excited! Good luck to you! Yes, art is supposed to be fun. But I know the feeling when it doesn’t feel like it’s going right. That’s the time to just let the project unfold. Let is surprise you! Have fun!