Hi everyone. Well, I’ve been very busy. But I got some work done on Drogon. In the last post I added the jaws. As always, I used paper mache shells to build the face. I cut off a large piece from a paper mache ball and put it on the top of the head. Then I used another piece of shell to fill in some gaps. And I used more pieces to add some bulk to the back of the jaws.
I added some eyes. Then I twisted some paper and wrapped tape around it which I fashioned into brows. I did the same for cheeks.
I wanted some webbed spines. In fact, I wanted a pair of them running parallel to each other down the neck. The Drogon in “The Game of Thrones” TV series had dual, webbed spines just like this. I made the spines by twisting paper around pieces of wire clothes hangers and wrapping them with masking tape. I poked holes along the neck with an ice pick for the spines.
I squirted some hot glue into the holes and inserted the spines. Then I draped some cloth between the spines on one side, and then the other.
After they dried I cut some scallops between the webbing.
I think the flared spines give this dragon a really fierce look. Or, they will by the time it’s finished. Time for the horns, the most prominent feature of this dragon. I started with the long ones. More to come.
I’ll stop here. Thanks for stopping by!