Hi everyone. Here is just a quick update on my latest paper mache Drogon. I’m not as far along on this as I should be. The reason is the usual one; I started a couple of other projects. My “Paper Mache Art” Facebook group is running a “Screamer Challenge” so I needed to get something started there (since this originates from my first book, The Simple Screamer: A Guide to the Art of Papier and Cloth Mache (1984)). There are no rules or prizes. A simple monster is all that is required. Participants will just post there monsters before Halloween. There is no telling how many people will actually make a monster to post. It always sounds like such a good idea six months before. I still enjoy making simple monsters once in a while, so it’s not a burden. And I started another fun, non-dragon project. The only hint I’ll give is that it starts with sea. Sorry, I’m not taking video or photos of these builds. But I’ll take some at the end when they are finished. Sometimes it’s just really nice to work without bumping into cameras.
Meanwhile, back to Drogon. I finished adding the horns. It looks like I just plopped them on randomly. But I didn’t. I used a very careful process. First I put some on. Then I took some off. Then I added put some back on. Then I took all of them off. Then I put a few back on. Then I ate a whole package of Graham Crackers (with milk) before addind a few more. Then I added even more. Then more. Then I realized that I was getting a little obsessed. I needed to stop adding horns! In fact, I wanted to tear every single lousy horn off for a second time. But the few rational brain cells I have left told me to sleep on it. Funny how it is…at 1:30 in the morning I hated how the horns looked. Then at 9:30 that same morning, after getting 8 hours of sleep, the horns looked pretty damn good. So I stopped. Here are just a few photos showing how it all went, sort of.
First the long-ish horns. Then a few shorter ones along the jowls.
I decided to run two rows of smaller horns down the nose. Of course he needed a nose to run the horns to. So I fashioned some nostrils out of rolled paper and masking tape. Then I cut holes so he could breathe.
Here are two angles of Drogon with all of his new, glorious horns. Make sure you look at these photos when you are well rested!
See you all again soon for some cloth mache. Thank you for stopping by!