Just a quick update with my dragon-like dragon fly project. I finished the structure of all of my wings. Here is one pair. The other pair is the same. I like the look.
I started playing with different coverings. To do this I made smaller mock-up structures just for experimenting. First I tried the two varieties of sheer cloth I mentioned earlier. One was purple-ish. The other was very shiny. They actually don’t look too bad in this photo. But in person I really didn’t like the look of either. The purple was too dark, and the shiny cloth looked too industrial.
I also played with dryer sheets (on the left of this mock-up wing) and regular tissue paper. Hated both.
So I went to a fancy pants paper store close to where I live. I found this tissue paper that has little strands of cloth in it. I really like it. It’s light. It shows off the structure of the wings. And it is just more organic.
I need to trim the wings and add a layer on the back side. But here is what it looks like on a wing.
Yes, I’ve done some work on the body and head too! I’ll post about those parts very soon.
Meanwhile, just reminding everyone that the drawing for my two dragons is coming soon, on June 15. If you haven’t entered to win, please do. It’s to support a great cause. I want these two dragons to go home with nice people, people that care. Like all of you! You are the best. If you have family or friends who don’t know about this drawing, please share either of these two videos. https://youtu.be/Y3_DDnd3amk and https://youtu.be/T95W_Z0yHws
They can enter at the Dragon Master Foundation site, here . Again, these people are the best. ALL of the proceeds go to the cause. No one gets paid on this foundation. I choose them because they are the best, the most caring of all the organizations. Truly. Thank you to all who have supported!