Hi again. So here is Tiamat dragon number four, the Blue dragon. This one is characterized by the big, prominent horn sticking straight up from the nose. Kind of cool. And it has a more squat, kind of short face. Very different from the other dragons.
In the paintings he also had buck teeth on the top, six very prominent teeth jutting out. I didn’t notice those when I made the jaws, but it was easy enough to fix. I pulled out the teeth I had in the front of the top jaw, then replaced them with six bigger ones.
One quick check of how he (she?) would be positioned with the other heads. The two top heads are going to crowd the bottom three a little bit. I want to minimize that as much as possible. I’m also trying to stick to the size constraints I was given by the people at the restaurant. And, the two top dragons must fit on either side of the two large horns of the Red dragon (it’s hard to see in this photo). All part of the challenge of this project.
I started with the big horn. I must say that I’m very pleased with my rendition of this horn. I made all the other horns for this dragon similar to this big one. Note that I also decided to pull a couple more teeth on the side of the jaw forward (outward). I used a paper mache shell to start building up the head.
I made a brow and added the eyes. I choose some yellowish eyes for the Blue dragon. I think they will look nice with the blue color.
When I looked at the wallpapers it was hard to tell what was happening at the sides of the head. There were structures that almost looked like ears. But there was no mention of ear-like structures in the literature (like there was for the Red dragon). I just decided to use more horns to make these structures. I made them similar in shape to the big horn on the nose. I’m happy with this interpretation.
I added many more horns to the chin, jowls, and the top of the head. And I added some pointy things along the spine. I also made some nostrils just in front of the big horn. Overall, I think the face captures that squatty (not sure how else to say that) look I saw in the wallpapers. So time for the cloth mache skin.
I added breast plates and lips.
I filled in the nose, added eyelids and scales. I made these scales somewhat like the White dragon’s scales, but smaller, more sleek, and pointy.
I wanted just a little more detail on the face. So I put some small scales on the cheek bones, and added some of my spit wads.
So here is my version of the Blue dragon before paint.
Here he is with the other heads. It looks less crowded in person. Overall, I’m very happy with it.
One last view.
One more to go, the Green dragon. I’ll be back soon with that. Thanks for stopping by!
** Addendum! Well, Amy just sent me a link to a book that shows more detail than the wallpapers I was using. In fact, now that I saw this other book, it seems clear in the wallpapers as well that this Blue dragon is supposed to have ears. Not horns. So…. today I’ll be making some revisions to this dragon. Off with the horns and on with some ears. Of course I’ll share those changes later.