Hey everyone. Well, my version of the Tiamat Dragon is finished. I am currently making custom crates to ship it off to The Chromatic Dragon restaurant in Savannah, Georgia. I swear, making those crates is harder than making the dragons.
For those of you keeping track I started this project mid-September. It has been a gloriously laborious project. I’ve really enjoyed trying to capture the essence of this Dungeons and Dragons character. As I mentioned in earlier posts, I did use the official wallpapers as a guide. But I added my own artistic touches here and there. I hope you like these. So…for the final reveal…
…I’ll start with the White dragon. I changed the tall crest on the neck to be more consistent with the art that Amy sent me a while back. Here I just wanted clean lines and a striking white color rather than a lot of detail. So she has the least amount of horns.
Here she is from the other side.
Next, the Red dragon. My camera never seems to capture the subtlety of color in my projects. You’ll just have to trust me when I say that there is much more variation in the red color than this photo suggests.
And here it is from the other side.
Just in case you didn’t see it, here is one of the wallpapers I used as a guide.
Here is the Black dragon. This is still my favorite. I guess I like the horns the best. Again, there is much more subtlety in the black than you can see. There is a bit of blue and purple and red in this project.
This is a slightly different view.
Now the Blue dragon. Everyone who has seen this project in person tells me that this is their favorite. I think people just like blue as a color. I admit it does have a very distinctive look. For those of you who followed this project closely, you’ll notice that I removed the extra horns I had where these ears are now. Once again, Amy was the one who told me that the Blue dragon had “big honkin ears!” I’m pretty happy with the way these ears turned out. They look very close to the drawings in the book she sent.
I have to admit, the Green dragon had to grow on me. For a while I thought it was just too horse-like. But I’m okay with it now. The paint helped. And I really like the twisted horns. That was a touch I added.
Here they are all together. I have to say, I’m pleased with the overall result. I hope everyone at The Chromatic Dragon find this to their liking.
I am in the middle of editing a time-lapse video of this project. I had over 180 sessions taped. So please be patient with me on this. I’ll get it done as soon as I can and I’ll post it when it’s finished.
Thanks for stopping by. Make art!!