Ready, Set…

Hello all,

I should say, hello to anyone left out there.  I know I have been absent for a while now.   It’s not that I haven’t been working on art.  I have.   In fact, I’ve kind of looked at the last couple months as a vacation to do just that, cozy up in my studio and just do what I want.    So I made a very nice commissioned piece, a little dragon.   But I can’t show you that yet because it is a surprise gift for someone and I’m waiting for the surprise to happen.    I’ll have some photos soon.     And I know it seems crazy, but I just wanted to make a few dragon heads for myself.   Just because I still love making them.   I can’t explain why.  I’ve got ideas for other, non-dragon projects, and they will be made at some point.   I’m just getting this out of my system first.   I promise to continue my thread about Smaug soon, and I’ll have some fresh photos very shortly.   No later than next week.  I promise.  I know, I’ve said that before.

I hope you are all enjoying your Fall (or whatever season you are in).  Hope you are making art.   Thanks as always for your patience!

About danmonsterman

I've been a paper mache artist for many years. Visit my website for instructional videos, galleries, and everything else paper mache. Or visit my WebPress blog, PaperMacheBlog.com.

58 Responses to Ready, Set…

1. Pattie Grissom says:

Always love seeing your art.

2. Christine says:

It’s always good to take some time off- I find myself always trying to cram time in- working a regular job leaves so little time and energy to be creative when you want to. Would love to find out where you get or whether you make your figures’ eyeballs and also, where you get newspaper front these days, as here it seems to have all but gone away….

3. Sabine Algosaibi says:

you are just fabulous… thank you

Sent from my iPhone

4. Kat says:

Hey! Glad to see you are still around. I done my first cloth mache this summer. It was done as a test project to replace those fake wasp nests that keep falling apart every time we get a windy day. If you want a look at it I wrote it up on a blog I started awhile back. I thought of you the whole time making it and kept laughing to myself wondering what you would think. It is still kinda artsy but also serves a purpose. We artists are crazy! My son now wants me to make a big dragon for the back yard. http://www.katfromthehat.com/diy-fake-wasp-nest/

5. Lynn Sprinkle says:

Good to hear you haven’t fallen off the earth! 😀 As always, looking forward to whatever you come up with! My art obsession has been in the form of crochet for the last 10 months. See you soon!!

6. It’s always a pleasure to see your artwork. Greatly looking forward to the pictures when you are ready to share 🙂

7. Michelle says:

Sooooooo glad you are back!

8. LyLian says:

I love dragons I make them from polymer clay , cookie dough and a lot of other materials LOL
    I am planning on trying paper mache but my first try (dragon eggs) fell apart and I haven’t worked out what I did wrong yet !!! I am looking foreword to seeing your new ones…

9. Barbara Sutton says:

can wait to see your new personal dragons. you just get better and better.
    Barbara

10. Lori says:

Glad to hear you are still with us. I think it is great to do some art for yourself. You deserve to do what you want for a change.
    Looking forward to your next post!
    Lori

11. Laurel Nixon says:

Hi Dan! I was ready to begin hatching dragons in AZ but have now moved back to Illinois. As soon as we aren’t living out of boxes and have truly moved in, dragons might be happening.

12. Diane Sorensen says:

Glad you have taken some time to enjoy your art. Looking forward to more pictures and articles soon. Your are a great inspiration even during your
    absence.
    Diane

13. Cindy Bushell says:

My latest little Dragon fly. With my daughters two front baby teeth I bought off the tooth fairy 😉

[image1.JPG] [image2.JPG] [image3.JPG]

14. Byron says:

So one of your dragons did not eat you. 😇

15. Annette Keith says:

Sir, If your work appears in film, I would like to learn of this movement from workshop to film? A movie? Perhaps? Your sharing of steps in creating creatures and or people is excellent. Do you read of Melanie Bourlon of France in her papier mache work? My husband contemplates theology and I the idea of movement and art in theater.

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Gourmet Paper Mache Blog wrote:

> danmonsterman posted: “Hello all, I should say, hello to anyone left out > there. I know I have been absent for a while now. It’s not that I > haven’t been working on art. I have. In fact, I’ve kind of looked at the > last couple months as a vacation to do just that, cozy up” >

16. Elizabeth says:

Hi, Dan!

I check your blog once a week, on Sundays. I’ve missed your posts, but just figured you were holed up, making art, and I’ve been happy for you. I’ve been sewing quilts like a madwoman, trying to finish a suite of four in time to give them as Christmas gifts. I’m pretty sure I’ll make it, but not SO sure that I’m letting myself do much else, for a while. (I give this fact of life mixed reviews.)

I’m glad that you aren’t letting your blog drive your life.

17. Obrigado Dan, por sua comunicação com nós espero que esteja tudo bem, quero que em breve voltara a criar novas esculturas, seu trabalho “é” e sempre será Mavavilhoso e Ispirador para mim.Ficarei aguardando.

18. Good to hear you have taken time to gather inspiration and do stuff for yourself but don´t forget us out here waiting with bated breath for your next post we all love your art and cannot have enough of it. Thank you for sharing it.

• Yes, I know people are out there waiting. But it takes quite a bit of time to do this kind of art. Sometimes I need to dedicate the time just to have something to post about. Thanks for the note.

19. mrhomn333 says:

Great to hear from you again and I’m looking forward to see your latest!
    Best regards,
    Mike

20. Vicki says:

Thanks for the update! Sounds like a very fun vacation. My “vacations” are mini on the occasional day that I get to play. Love your books and looking forward to more posts!

21. Leslie Anne says:

I’m glad you took some time for yourself. I’ve seen bloggers get burnt out from constantly trying to please people on the internet. I find inspiration and motivation to create when you share your work and am willing to wait for when you like to share.

22. Gabriella says:

Looking forward to see your pictures and dragons when ever you’re ready-steady 😉👍🏻

23. Dear Dan didn´t mean to hassle you I understand all too well the need for own time to gather strengtand inspiraton

24. Carol says:

Hi Dan, I can wait patiently and happily because I know the wait will be worth it. Looking forward to your next creation. Cheers, Carol

25. darrell says:

Sometimes fans are like vampires they suck everything out of you and still expect more well you have to have that recharge. As a writer and an artist I’ve got to have that vacation for my soul in order for something to be there so take all the time you need to.

• Thanks Darrell. I love my fans. They are really all like friends. It just feels at times like I’m writing more and more about less work. These sculptures take a long time to make. So I think it’s okay to take the time once in a while. Take care

26. Joan Dillon says:

Thank you for letting us know you are still alive and creating wonderful creatures.
    When I don’t hear from people in a while I can understand how we all pour ourselves into our work and block out the rest… Time passes by so quickly we hardly realize it.
    Enjoy the process! Eager to see your surprise. 🙂

27. Teresa says:

Sounds like you’ve been enjoying yourself, and that’s a good thing. Taking some time to focus on your art is time well spent. Can’t wait to see what you’ve been up to!

28. Beth says:

cant wait to see what you have been up to!!

29. Finnegan Fin says:

very much looking forward to your updates!

30. Sally partington says:

The dragons are amazing, do you sell them or make them to commission?. One of those would look amazing in my mediation room especially when we do the drumming it would just take you to another realm. Sally

31. hector vela says:

necesito saber de que material hace los dientes y como los hace?