Hi all. Well, once again, this post is late in coming. As I’ve stated many times ….it’s not my fault. I have an ADHD problem with my paper mache art. I start something and then get sidetracked, usually by another piece of art. I am also working on a commissioned piece. I’m making a fairly large set of trophies that illustrate the “Tiamat” Dragon in Dungeons and Dragons. It is a multi-headed dragon that has five distinct heads. I’m doing this for a restaurant in Savannah Georgia. More on this later.
Meanwhile, I’m still moving along with my paper mache dragon-like dragonfly. Here is a quick progress report.
My wings are finished and waiting. They turned out well. So on to the body…
I want a segmented body. I started with a medium sized paper mache ball. I added more paper mache balls (that got smaller as I worked my way down the body)…
… until I got to the tail. Here is a look at the body with all the balls in place.
I added a couple more segments for a neck.
Then I made a head in the usual way. I made teeth out of Fimo. I cut open another paper mache ball and hot glued the teeth around the shells to make jaws.
I also made a small, dragon-like tongue.
I added cloth mache to the jaws and painted them blue. Then I hot glued the tongue into the lower jaw.
Now I must talk a bit about the eyes. I wanted big, bulbous eyes for this project. That would make it more insect like. But it is also a dragon, so I wanted something that looked enough like a dragon as well. So I used two taxidermy, elephant eyes. I used my Dremel grinder to grind away almost all of the paint inside the eye. I left only what I wanted as slits for the lens.
This is how they looked.
Of course, as soon as I saw these lenses I realized that they were just too thin. So I used black paint to widen the lenses. Sorry about the next few photos. They are pretty blurry. But you’ll get the idea.
I painted some yellow stripes emanating outward from the lenses. While still wet, I added some orange paint.
Likewise, while the yellow and orange paint was still wet, I added a layer of red over the entire eye. Because it was all wet, it blended together.
Here are the finished eyes. I like them. I think when they are on the project, they will look both dragon-like and insect-like. We’ll see.
Thanks for stopping by. More later.