Paper Mache Dragon-like Cat. More assembly, and a little sad news

Hello everyone,

I’ve done some more work on my dragon-like cat project.   More about that below.  But first a little sad news.   My little cat Eddie died a couple of days ago.  He got very sick when Max died, and he never really recovered.   He was a wonderful helper in my studio, the star of many of my videos, and a dear companion.    I miss him terribly.

My little Eddie

Life goes on.   Making art helps.   So on with the dragon-cat.   I decided to add wings to this cat….of course.   I always make the “fingers” (still don’t know what to call them) out of pieces of wire clothes hangers.   I twist some paper around the wire, then some masking tape.   I add strips of cloth mache over these before sculpting to add strength.

paper mache cat dragon 18 paper mache cat dragon 19

I used the extra set of arms for the wings.  I started adding “fingers” …

paper mache cat dragon 20 paper mache cat dragon 21

…until I had the skeleton of one wing.   Then the second.

paper mache cat dragon 22 paper mache cat dragon 23

I cut holes in the body of the cat and poked the wings into them.

paper mache cat dragon 24 paper mache cat dragon 26

At this point I added more cloth mache to the body and to the hands.  It’s just easier to get to some spots before I drape the wings.

paper mache cat dragon 27 paper mache cat dragon 28

I draped the fingers with the cloth in glue.  When it was dry I trimmed them.

paper mache cat dragon 29 paper mache cat dragon 31

So here is where it stands for now.

paper mache cat dragon 29+

More soon.  Thanks for watching!

PS.  I am also making a couple more dragon trophies.  I can’t seem to stay away.  I’m making two that have contrasting personalities.  I’ll intend to make one time-lapse video covering the pair.   I’ll post something about those later.

Make art!

About danmonsterman

I've been a paper mache artist for many years. Visit my website for instructional videos, galleries, and everything else paper mache. Or visit my WebPress blog, PaperMacheBlog.com.
This entry was posted in Paper Mache Dragon-like Cat and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to Paper Mache Dragon-like Cat. More assembly, and a little sad news

1. Marie says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. Pets are family. But I am glad you have a creative outlet to focus your emotions. Thanks for you posts. They do inspire!

2. Karen says:

Such sad news about Eddie. Run free beautiful boy. I’ll miss him in your videos. Thinking of you.

3. Jennifer Bowers says:

I understand your loss, I’ve had 2 go in 2 years. But a wonderful stray found me and has been a lovey fat cat for several months. Life does go on. Loving the cat dragon, create on!

4. I can’t wait to see the next photos. You are so talented, thanks for sharing.

5. Sue says:

I’m so sorry to hear about Eddie. I love Abyssinians! Cats and dogs have such short lives — they’re always too short. I’ve lost a cat and two dogs just in the last two years — all old guys; the dogs were both 17.

Your flying cat is looking good. Can you image what would happen if cats could fly? Then, there wouldn’t by ANYTHING that they couldn’t get into!

We’re all looking forward to the finished results. Your work is so incredibly good!

• Thanks Sue. Yes, we had two Abbys. They were both rejects from the show world which was fine with us. We adored them both. Lots of personality. My little kittens DO fly when they are chasing bugs!

6. Joy says:

So sorry to hear of your loss. It is heartbreaking news. On the upside the cat dragon is coming along nicely.

7. Sandra Dunn says:

So very sorry about your second cat……Blessings. Love your videos…

8. Very cooool Dan! I am so looking forward to seeing your creation when it is finished!!!

Michelle Ramoutar 😀

9. I am very sorry for your loss of Eddie… to me he was … super Eddie… he always looked like he had a smile on his face and lots of love in his eyes for you.. his human… bless him.💗

Michelle Ramoutar

10. SuZQ says:

Aw, so sorry for your loss. Making a Dragocat is a beautiful and poetic way of honoring your companion. I love your work.

11. Cath Oram says:

So sorry you have lost your cat friends, breaks your heart, I’m glad to see you are keeping busy, I really enjoy your blog, your dragons are brilliant. ☺️

12. Martina says:

Dan, I’m so sorry for your loss. I think your new sculpture is an lovely way to honor Eddie.

13. pamtanzey says:

I’m so sorry for your loss of Eddie. My thoughts are with you.

14. mrhomn333 says:

I’m so sorry for your losses of Max & Eddie. Thank you for continuing your creating.

15. godave74 says:

I´m sorry for Eddie, he was spectacular and great; I enjoyed so much watching him in your videos; I´m going to miss him. I have lost many furry friends too and know the black hole left behind… He will await for you, and meanwhile he will continue watching for you as a guardian angel. Blesses for you.

16. Sorry for your loss of Max and Eddie. Glad making art helps. looking forward to seeing this kitty on the as he develops.

17. Don Hagemeyer says:

So very sorry about the passing of sweet Eddie. Enjoyed watching his antics in your videos and photos. I know it effected you deeply but glad to see you’re still making art.

18. Cernunnas says:

Oh no no no… Eddie….. :'(… I know he had been struggling with his sickness after Max passed, but I thought he would be over it by now…. I’m so sorry… Remember though: you gave them both a wonderful happy life. We all turn to dust sooner or later, but you got so much love from them, you’re truly blessed. I hope your other two companions are ok.

I think I can see where you’re going with the cat dragon there… I can’t wait to see the it finished. Stay strong!

• Thank you Cernunna. Yes, Eddies was just never well after Max died. The steroids helped, but he always had problems. I’m just glad he’s no longer suffering.
      Glad you like the new project.

19. Lynn Sprinkle says:

I am so sorry for the loss of another of your fur babies!! 😢 You gave Eddie a wonderfully loving home to the last minute he was with you and now he’s with Max over the rainbow bridge, as they say. 💔🌈💟. Looking so forward to the next installment of the cat dragon! PS I believe the “fingers” of the wings could be called structurally supportive bones 😁 as in, skeleton…..call me crazy!! Hugs to your family as you move through this sad time.

• Thank you Lynn. I do think I gave Eddie a good life. And yes, now he is with Max. I just hope Max isn’t harassing him too much. Thanks for the note about the fingers. Yes, it is definitely supportive bones. But that is kind of a mouthful.

20. cloudyk says:

So very sorry to read of Eddie’s passing.

21. Ralph Simpson says:

Sorry to hear about Eddie. I feel your pain I lost my Birman Chleo several years ago. On a lighter note I love the way you do the wings.

22. Barbara Sutton says:

can’t wait to see the finished one!

23. I am so sorry for your loss Dan.Art is such a good distraction.

24. Juliette says:

Ohh, so very sorry to hear about Eddie. I know that pain. While I don’t have cats, I do have rescue dogs and have lost several over the years – from a blind Buddy rescued from the Katrina floodwaters to a 16 yr. old Shih-tzu with dementia… it never gets easy. But making art always helps ease that pain somehow. We all look forward to watching upcoming videos. And maybe a new little kitty ; )
    Best from New Orleans
    Juliette

• Thank you Juliette. Yes, all pet owners know this pain. I’m just glad he isn’t suffering any more. Thank you for your rescues. That is very good karma indeed.

25. Sharon Hastings says:

So sorry about your loss

Sent from my iPad

26. tsizemore25 says:

I’m so sorry for your loss of Eddie. His special appearances in your videos always made me smile.

27. Lori says:

Very sorry about your adorable kitty. So sad.
    It is amazing how therapeutic art can be. It can get us through many hard times!
    Take care.
    Thinking of you.
    Lori

28. I’m so so sorry about your Eddie. It’s so sad losing a little loved one like that. But maybe keeping yourself busy does help. Your cat dragon seems to be coming along nicely. Can’t wait to see the end result. Keep up the good work 🙂

29. tsizemore25 says:

I’m so sorry about Eddie. His special appearances in your videos always made me smile. Take care.

30. Sorry to hear about Eddie!
    Dragon-cat is looking good.

31. Darrell says:

We all love your work and your animals..because all of your hearts truly show in your work..
    Darrell

32. Kes Sampson says:

Every animal loss is a sad one, and heart wrenching, hopefully your Dragon Cat will bring some memories to life

33. Norma says:

I’m sorry to hear about Eddie, but I want to thank you for giving him an awesome, happy life! (All pets go to heaven. I don’t care what anybody says, ALL PETS GO TO HEAVEN.)

34. Carol says:

Oh Dan, I’m so sad to hear about beautiful Eddie. What a little star he was. Now he can join Max in the stars. I’m sure they’ll be watching the progress of your dragon-cat, which is looking great so far. Carol

35. beate says:

I feel with you. Best wishes. Hope to see Eddie and Max in heaven.

36. beatewebword says:

Hello Dan,
    Eddie follows Max in cat-heaven. I hope they are finding one another and looking to you on earth.
    Beate

37. Jeanette Smith says:

So sorry to hear about Eddie. He was so cute in your videos-he will be missed. The dragon cat is looking really good.

38. Stewart, Diane says:

Dear Gourmet Paper Mache,

I am so sorry about your cat.

Thanks for keeping me posted about Paper Mache!
    Sincerely,

Diane Stewart, NBCT
    Kingston Middle School
    Visual Arts/Ceramic/Read 180-Social Studies
    “The artist is not a special kind of person; rather each person is a special kind of artist.” Ananda Coomaraswamy