Okay, there are a couple of things besides horns I should discuss, like how I hooked up the lighting. But I promised horns on this post, so that’s what I’m showing. I’ll do other posts later about the lights and switches etc..
I know it’s been quite some time since I last posted. That’s because it has taken a long time to put on these horns, particularly in combination with the lights. Speaking of lights, I took a big risk by adding lights under many of the horns. They are either going to look great or completely hokey and terrible.
For the biggest horns I drilled holes in the base.
I inserted the lights as I attached the horns. I used lots of hot glue for that.
I added the biggest horns first.
Then smaller ones.
At one point I stopped to add some jowls at the back of the mouth.
Then I added more horns.
And more carefully placing lights under many of them.
The trick is learning when to stop adding horns. I have to say that each horn was carefully and deliberately placed. A lot of compulsive putting one on and taking it back off went on behind the scenes. These horns were also not easy to cut. I used a jig saw with a blade made for plexiglass to cut them.
Of course I also added horns to the jowls.
And a few more.
Here is what it looks like now with the lights off. I must point out again, that 99% of the time this project will be displayed with lights off. It has to look good without lights.
I made sure that the lights under the horns were on seperate circuits from the eyes and the mouth. That way, if I hate the way the lights look under the horns I can just turn leave them off. Here is the dragon with the lights on only in the mouth and eyes.
And here is one with all the lights on.
Not sure how I feel about them yet. We’ll see after painting how I feel about them.
Either way, you’ll notice that the horns are a little hard to see in the photos. That’s the downside of icicle-like horns I guess. But I like them nonetheless. So far so good.
More later. Thanks for stopping by.